Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Beggars Opera or: What about Poverty Runs?

Sixteen managed to reach levels like no one of his brothers before but - at the end - fate did not smile at him. The Ancient Stone Beast ended his life on D:42 as he could not find any way to get around its insane PV and regeneration.

Sssra number 16 learned a lot of small things in the CoC:
    - The number of Acid Spits against the Banshee vary greatly from 9 to nearly 30 so digging long corridors seems to be essential.
    - Tricking the Eternal Guardian needs at least a speed of 130+ otherwise he will get time to create a copy.
    - The Battle Bunnies are easiest when digging right through to the Bunny Master.
    - Switch Position helped a lot to catch Yulgash even though luck (low DL summons) was still needed. The Ettins and Fire Giants were not enough to stop Sssra.
    - The Cat Lord was neutral this time as Sssra managed to kill only one wild cat.
    - Switching between the Ice Queen Domain and the cavernous RD:5 helped a lot pushing XP easy and safely.
    - Even without invisibility (no luck with stalkers or pools) things went pretty smoothly. Stealth was also great!

However: Is there any way to kill the Ancient Stone Beast? Will i really have to get level 30, 40 or even 50 to get a chance using poverty? Any help is welcome!
    Last edited by Harpagornis; 06-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.

To get past the Ancient Stone Beast damage has to be pushed... what are my options?

Leveling: Is level 50 realistic without items? What about the 90 day limit?
    Unarmed Weapon Skill: Reaching level 15 here should be no problem.
    Find Weakness: Easy going!
    Strength: Corpses and training should get us to 30, maybe even 40.
    Corruptions: Rage (+6) and Horns (+3) are all fine but rather random.
    Tactics: Would be great to have but pools only - another gamble...

My worst fear is the 90 day limit and the increasing corruption. The Ice-Queen-Domain and Random Dungeon 5 loop worked nice but was still eating a lot of days due to the traveling. Are there faster ways to levelup? Can you wish for experience?

However: Number Seventeen got decreased to oblivion after he was trapped between a horde of jackals and a Devil Spirit while Eighteen died at the very beginning training strength at the stairs. The dungeon collapsed after 22 kicks - game over!
    Last edited by Harpagornis; 06-17-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpagornis View Post
    Too bad Willpower never went up so confusion still can be troublesome.
    It is possible to train WI by getting blind (face mud in ID) and kicking (it rolls for a check). I am not 100% sure, it's been a while from zen monk stuff.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    It is possible to train WI by getting blind (face mud in ID) and kicking (it rolls for a check). I am not 100% sure, it's been a while from zen monk stuff.
    Successful kicking while blind doesn't train Willpower. The chance to succeed doesn't seem to depend on Willpower either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Successful kicking while blind doesn't train Willpower. The chance to succeed doesn't seem to depend on Willpower either.
    What does it roll for in such case? (Well, 'you do not feel steady enough without your eyesight...' --- fail rolls?)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    What does it roll for in such case? (Well, 'you do not feel steady enough without your eyesight...' --- fail rolls?)
    Dexterity seems to be the only attribute that improves your success rate. Couldn't find any other factors that affect it.

So far i never used blindness for training as i am always fearing running into some trouble (stat decrease, aging or angering the cat lord by accident). Without any items things can go wrong really easy so most of the time my mantra is: Safety first!

Training Strength, Dexterity and Toughness seems to be really easy on the other hand which is really good as i call them the main stats of my monks.

It also seems that getting invisibility from stalkers is really painful. I have slain so many of them but only one (!) dropped a corpse so far. Poolsipping or finding the right statue to get at least the ability to see invisible creatures seems to be easier.

Pool sipping is getting the most depressing part of this challenge...

Nineteen was aged to death by the pools (note: he was already aged by a Ghost Lord before) while twenty was unable to get Tactics or Death Ray Resistance but was cursed, doomed and lost nearly any resistance he collected before the last pool dried up. He was so depressed about his bad luck that he sacrificed himself shortly after to the steel golems. Twentyone however got at least death ray resistance but was sickened from the next one. He tried to get rid of it but failed cause he was trapped on his way out between an ogre king and a gorgon who petrified him instantly. Bad luck all the way so far even though twentytwo is already on the run and will join the pools of madness soon. May fate smile upon him...

EDIT: Twentytwo also got sickened from the second pool and after that he was doomed. Waiting and First Aid did not help while praying only healed him up again but did not remove the sickness. He then traveled around the map but even after several ingame weeks the sickness did not vanish. Looks like poolsickness is GG. As i cannot rely on the pools and leveling up the monks for Darkforge costs quite some time i think that i will have to go for early pool sipping in PC. I cannot lose any resistance then and even if things go wrong (sickness, aging, snakes etc.) i can instantly restart without losing time. But lets not forget about all those bad corruptions. Holy cow - looks like this challenge will last for "quite some time".
    Last edited by Harpagornis; 06-20-2018 at 05:39 PM.

I think pool odds are abysmal.

I agree, particularly by the mid-game. I've had several characters with teleport control, with a few resistances, and with one or both of teleportitis and see invisible, when they got to darkforge. That's a lot to risk! I'm much more willing to risk a pool with a level 5 character (maybe 3 resistances! maybe a wish! maybe killed by snakes!) than a level-20, Steel Golem-killing character I've put some time into.