Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beggars Opera or: What about Poverty Runs?

I still have to master the hit&run in this game. However: Abusing superior speed to make the big-hitters cry gets more and more funny. Too bad my last runs all died pre-level-20 cause i am getting overconfident...

I watched Sami complete that challenge on the server, but he is a very experienced player. It is a really difficult challenge. You can only do it as a monk by the way, because you need to break down some walls (a beastfighter can't do that without pickaxe or wand).

I seriously recommend that you first try to finish the game normally before you try your hands at this sort of crazy stuff. That is hard enough when you're not reading spoilers.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I watched Sami complete that challenge on the server, but he is a very experienced player.
    Did he ever actually finish the challenge? This is his latest post I could find about that, and in that one he died to the Banshee. As far as I know, nobody has yet to successfully win with this no-items restriction. (Incidentally, that's exactly what initially made me try that challenge )

Due to the lack of time Sssukk the Drakeling Monk (level 14) is not making real progress. As i am still lacking advanced metagame knowledge i am not sure how to level up fast and - if possible - easy wihtout any items. In Baldurs Gate we developed several kinds of easy-to-go XP loops to crack even heavy modded challenges. So far i am using the Small Cave at the very beginning to push me up to around level 9, then some PC and CoC farming in the big rooms. Are there better places or ways to push XP fast?

And another Monk died at level 16 once a vile spirit captured me. Damn i really hate this animated tree level...

Is there any way to fasten up the level progress? Farming monsters gets so boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Jouni View Post
    Did he ever actually finish the challenge? This is his latest post I could find about that, and in that one he died to the Banshee. As far as I know, nobody has yet to successfully win with this no-items restriction. (Incidentally, that's exactly what initially made me try that challenge )
    What is the plan vs Banshee for no-items restriction? Run fast and hope she does not screem?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Plan vs Banshee: Spit her down before running out of escape room @Soirana. Sami mentioned that its possible to get her down with 6 spits - unless bad luck hits you.

Here is the link: Rock-Man-Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    What is the plan vs Banshee for no-items restriction? Run fast and hope she does not screem?
    1. Dig a wide enough loop around the level if one didn't occur naturally, preferably so that random wandering monsters are unlikely to block your way.
    2. Anger Banshee with acid spit (or just stand around until she notices you) from a safe distance -- iirc her scream has a range of 4 tiles.
    3. Carefully lure her around the pre-dug loop keeping your distance, and once you get past her rush to the stairs.

Not a foolproof plan, but it worked for me at least. And of course you have to remember she's still alive (well, as "alive" as undead can be...) once you get back (or rather, if you get back).

And as for EG a bit later, you either have to 1) be buff enough to take on him without him leaving the stairs (unlikely), or 2) spit him from two tiles away, walk (walking has lower energy cost than waiting) until he gets off the stairs, and run past him, hoping to get to the stairs before another one spawns.
    Last edited by Jouni; 05-28-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Yeah, thats sounds like a plan @Jouni - will remember this one! But first i have to get this far without getting overconfident. My last death in the tree level was absolutely idiotic. So for now its just farming time until i get around level 15. Lets hope for the best!

I lost another Monk but - well - that one was weird. I played around with the arena untli i skipped several rounds for healing. Suddenly Nak An'Dwar or better - a writhing mass of primal chaos named after him - attacked. This strange thing slowed me down slaughtering the monk without any chance of escape. Looks like Nak An'Dwar had walked over a nearby corruption trap a bit too often.

After restarting with tryhard Monk number 7 everything worked pretty smooth so far. He reached level 18 farming PC and the CoC big room getting resistance against poison, fire, shock, acid & cold along with teleport control. Not to forget: He got underwater breathing from his first corruption. Sounds nice! Is there any way to get teleportation? What about death ray resistance? Should i get invisibility? However: With every run i am learning new things. For instance using Clay Golems to get slowed for some XP boost. Ah, there are so many options...
    Last edited by Harpagornis; 05-29-2018 at 09:11 PM.