Thread: not able to read books

Question not able to read books

hi everyone, I played this game like 20 years ago, recently found it on Steam with all the fancy graphics, started with exploration mode, created Gnome Merchant born under the Candle with Learning at 17, Mana at 18 (for 6 Talents), I have Literacy at 65, Concentration at 80 ... yet cannot read a single book successfully (playing around with wand of wishes at level 1, very beginning of the game) ... what gives ? any help appreciated, thanks

Merchants are very poor spellcasters and bookreaders, in the same sense as beastfighters or monks.
    Try leveling up your literacy and concentration and you should be able to learn basic spells, like light, darkness, bless, cure light wounds or magic missile.
    Anything more sophisticated will be tough.
    Also try to use learning enhancing items and special effects rooms that boost reading.
    Of course, bless the books and ensure you are not cursed/doomed.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by siyoa View Post
    hi everyone, I played this game like 20 years ago, recently found it on Steam with all the fancy graphics, started with exploration mode, created Gnome Merchant born under the Candle with Learning at 17, Mana at 18 (for 6 Talents), I have Literacy at 65, Concentration at 80 ... yet cannot read a single book successfully (playing around with wand of wishes at level 1, very beginning of the game) ... what gives ? any help appreciated, thanks
    If you want to fiddle with spells at lvl1, go wizard.

For scrolls you can go by with 30+ literacy.
    For spellbooks you want 100 literacy, usually 100 concentration also even more so if you're a non caster class.
    Some easy spells can be learned without concentration, but not at low lvl.
    As a merchant try again at lvl 20+, make sure books are blessed before reading.

You can also book cast, if you learn a spell from potion of wonder or wand of wonder usage you can then read a book from said spell and cast it directly.
    The benefit is that it does not drain castings.
    The drawback is a x3 mana cost.

So the things that affect your success includes:
    Literacy
    Concentration
    Learning stat
    Lvls
    Class
    Race
    Starsign (book star sign gets a bonus)