Thread: Not sure what happened here... :(

Default Not sure what happened here... :(

Hey, can anyone help me figure out why my god suddenly turned on me? I was N-, had spellbook of wish and stood next to a neutral altar, I could bookcast it for 3600 PP and was all but an archmage. However, I thought i would wait to use the orb of mana until i could bookcast it twice, (so i could wish for SoCR, then power, then use orb of mana to recharge.) To recharge my PP while i was casting, I sacced around 20000 - 40000 gold to the neutral god, then prayed 4 or 5 times, then sacced again. (i got the gold from merchant's guild so i had a lot in my inventory)

At the time of my death i had just gotten inner peace / spiritually invincible two prayers ago (when i sacced about 30000 gold), and had one unheard prayer about 7 - 8 prayers before.
    i had no warning before my prayer was met with full inventory cursing, which cursed my girdle of greed (shouldn't have been carrying so much gold, i know.) Needless to say, i was crushed to death. But why would my god curse me when i was at a good alignment and had great piety (which was rising with my offerings despite praying for power)? I couldn't find it anywhere on the wiki or anywhere else, why my god would turn on me. In the memorial files, it says i was hated by the neutral god?

This happened yesterday, but I closed ADOM before making a memorial file. I do have the highscore file, which tells me I was hated by Balance (neutral mist elf god), my alignment was N=, I asked for 19 divine interventions total, had lucky + fate smiles and was wearing some non-artifact gear.

So why did my god suddenly turn on me when my standing was so good about two prayers before?

I'm pretty sure the piety cost for praying increases with each use, so after 19 prayers you were probably incurring a huge piety drop after each one.

Oh, thanks, that does make sense

Yes prayer cost isnt that big for mana or healing early on but cost adds exponentially for every pray for same thing, 19 prayers is a LOT.
    Use prayers as an emergency.
    I've made the mistake of praying a second time for remove curse and gotten all inventory cursed