Thread: Question: Wished-for demented ratling for Gaab'Bay's quest

Default Question: Wished-for demented ratling for Gaab'Bay's quest

I have a really promising (read: save any stupid screw ups, already game-winning) character. He is a human paladin, and I was aiming for a chaotic ultra ending, which I haven't done yet. Started off with getting an amulet of life saving as random loot before I even ventured below the Animated Forest. Not sure where, might have been in UD, I just found out I had it when Thrundarr identified my stuff after his first quest. Saved Khelly, done lots of other stuff. Already finished basically every dungeon outside those below the Air Temple, and aside from the Rolf quest. I had all three elemental immunities that can be obtained from corpses, was going to get the last one when I got crowned chaotic. I had a nice set of intrinsics apart from that, like permanent invisibility, see invisible, death ray resistance (also got two wishes from the Darkforge pools). Found two surges of power and one surge of pulsing power in random dungeons. From this, I got True Aim and Sonic Boom, which I used to mow down anything I didn't want to touch with my unwieldy (but fixed by smithing) eternium long sword of devastation. Basically all stats in the range of 40-50 at least, after utilizing Garth to a reasonable level, and herbs, corpses, potions to the fullest. I have a ridiculous supply of scrolls of corruption removal and potions of cure corruption (black unicorn tension room in DH + food preservation 100 + weapon of hunting = win), and a number of magical writing sets in case I needed more (that after eating Keethrax, the minotaur emperor and a couple orb guardians for stats and removing undesirable corruptions). I pleased the cat lord, and got to Rolf's throne room, was about to do his quest.

I didn't yet do Gaab'Bay's quests though since I was L so far, but had the items already (scroll of danger, giant boar skull, lots of ratling fodder etc.). So I went and killed a few friendly beggars in Lawenilothehl, then talked to Gaab'Bay. Went back to Dwarftown, picked up the ratling fodder from my stash in the Ogre Cave. Okay, so where's the ratling? Hey, you, dwarf, you seen him? No? Anyone? I had a bad feeling, so I used a wand of monster detection. Turns out, the greater daemon or one of his summoned buddies killed him (probably) when I wasn't looking.

I know he is wishable, but does anyone know if a wished-for demented ratling can be used to satisfy Gaab'Bay's quest in the recent versions? If so, I'll go and play the pool-roulette in Rolf's palace. Otherwise, I have a half a mind to do the Ultimate Nihilist Ending, which would perfectly fit my state of mind right now. (EDIT: Nvm, realized I can't even do that, because I need Gaab'Bay's quests for the ordinary chaos god-type entry into the ChAoS plane as well.)
    Last edited by Taederias; 07-23-2018 at 02:34 PM.

A wished-for ratling can work. The catch is that you will need to make him peaceful in order for him to accept artifacts. As far as I know, there are two reasonable methods to accomplish this:
    1. Use the merchant bribe power (obviously not an option here).
    2. Frighten the ratling with Scare Monster and then chat until you are given the opportunity to offer peace.

Cool, thank you very much. I'll be sure to try that then.