Thread: YAVP - UlTiMaTe ChAoS gOd

Default YAVP - UlTiMaTe ChAoS gOd

I had a specific framework of a story planned for this character from the start (which some will likely know the origin of), while also trying to do as much as possible since this was to be my first game in a while, now with all the new content.

Arthas, male human paladin started out on the path of justice, righting wrongs and following the law. Well, actually he started neutral and did not get up to L until he received training in some shadier skills from Yergius. The first kill was an outlaw in Lawenilothehl. (I wanted to do the Courage quest too, and my first choice would have been an assassin — I can kill Filk, come back, then slaughter the whole Assassin's Guild — alas, no assassins were to be found, and I wanted to retrieve the Scepter of Chaos as well for completionism's sake anyway, so I said oh well.) Did not take too great a risk at this point, got the blanket and found the stairs in SC, did the puppy quest, got the quest from Guth'Alak because I wanted herbalism (and the corpse of Keethrax) and explored down to DD:6 to gain some levels. Then I did the UD dive and through HMV descended to Dwarftown in a mostly uneventful fashion.

Did some arena fights on the way down, and stocked up on ratling food. Found a cat in the arena — fortunately, at this point, an appropriate altar has already been encountered, so the inventory was mostly identified; a potion of exchange did the trick. Did Thrundarr's quests, including some big room hunting for a monster while herb farming — didn't have herbalism yet, but a single blessed scroll of uncursing can take care of cursed herbs. When Thrundarr identified my stuff, I found that I picked up an AoLS along the way that I didn't yet identify, so I was like, okay, let's go way down and talk to Khelly. In the forest, I discovered a mushroom-filled cave I didn't know about — then I discovered that the greater fungoids paralyzed me on hit, and I nearly didn't get away, so I postponed that till I found an amulet of free action or something. Saved Khelavaster without much trouble, also picked up the Moon Sickle.

On my way back I decided to check out the Dwarven Halls — which was almost my undoing. Two long corridors, which way to go... let's go left... and go... and on, and on... *THUMB*...... aw, hell. Okay, bad news, get back... oh wait, that's a greater moloch coming from the stairs' direction, blocking the path. Well, better than a titan, at least he's slow and I can outrun him, but wow, this sucks. At this point, I really should have blessed and read my single scroll of magic mapping, followed by a wand of monster detection. Instead, I chose to explore further, hoping to find the other staircase while knowing the moloch was on my trail. The level ended up being of a spiral design, with long corridors, and the up staircase being right near the point I started, only in the opposite direction. I didn't have a source of teleportation, or the time to try and read Khelly's spellbook, or a pickaxe, or a wand of digging, so I had to maneuver my way back, somehow killing or outrunning numerous tough monsters while avoiding being enclosed between two of them. Found lots of nasties, like a greater doppelganger, ogre magus, ogre emperor, stone giant lord and so on, burned through all my prayers and healing herbs, but thanks to my Raven star sign, speed talents, and Athletics, I managed to get out, just barely. The up staircase was blocked by a mimic hivemind, so no thanks, go back down, and forest it is.

Afterward, learned the skills Yergius had to offer using some si gold, then went and trained the Detect traps skill in the dwarven graveyard before heading back west and taking care of a certain mummy lord who had been nagging me since level 13.

Next up: the issue of stat training. I like heading into the ToEF with an Ice Ball (khm… Freezing Fury) of range 2, which basically means maxing out herb training by that time and using some Wi-increasing items. Problem was, my Wi, To and Dx potentials were abysmal, so I needed to find a way to increase those (used Garth for other stats up to a reasonable level). So I went and scoured the random dungeons for the appropriate potential-increasing potions (ideally a potions shop). Did not find the potions in question but did get two surges of power in the risky dive down the 13-level ancient dungeon — ended up getting True Aim and Sonic Boom, so that turned out well enough. At the bottom level was a pulsing power room with a bunch of very experienced chaos warriors and titans, so I postponed that for later though.

Ended up pool-sipping in Darkforge, from where I got a couple nice intrinsics and 2 wishes: potions of potential To and Wi, please. Also managed to find a dark elf vault in one of the random dungeons, and had food preservation at 100, so I used their corpses to get my Dx potential up to the herb limit, at the cost of easily-herb-trained To.

Now that that was done, and To was herb-maxed as well, killing Keethrax and eating his corpse was possible without wasting the To increase; the druid quest thus ended, and Arthas finally learned the art of herbalism. It was also high time he cleared the CoC graveyard, utilizing the undead corpses to the fullest to increase To past the herb limit. Also killed a certain pesky snake a bit lower, eaten his corpse, and the Dx increase not going to waste now.

He helped out the Ice Queen, but did not yet collect the reward — since Wi was going to yet be decreased by eating the minotaur emperor, he made the trip down the twisting, turning, treacherous maze, and slaughtered the corrupted creature. Eating his corpse, then some morgia roots, now was the time to get the queen’s stat increases, since no more stat abuse was planned.

From this point on, it was simple enough to get all the way down to the Air Temple and Earth Temple, also consuming those orb guardians for the resulting powerful (but corrupting) effects. Knew I had to get extremely corrupted eventually, therefore I tried to get as many beneficial-to-tolerable corruptions as possible, only removing them when they were definitively disadvantageous. Even then, this reckless absorbing of the power of corrupted creatures did cost quite a number of corruption removal items. Thankfully, once Arthas was powerful enough to actually tackle the Dwarven Halls, he found a black unicorn tension room — food preservation 100 coupled with a hunting weapon equated this with a lot of potions of cure corruption. Also delivered the weird tome and eradicated the insects in the bug temple for the extra scrolls, among other things.

Meanwhile, he assembled a map leading to an ancient dwarven palace, and met the forefather of dwarves, Rolf, in person; being sent back to fetch his axe and shield. It was also around this time that he finally visited a certain old crone, one who required a little convincing that he was not such a devout follower of Order after all. She bid him to feed a strange, disfigured creature back in Dwarftown — to his chagrin, that one was nowhere to be found. Some residents recalled seeing him being devoured by an angry daemon a few weeks back.

Desperate, but determined to see his task through, Arthas went to a ring shop he found earlier and bought out its stock of items. After the daily resupply shipment arrived, sure enough, he found a ring rumored to contain the essence of a powerful creature granting wishes. The djinni indeed managed to conjure up the “mutated one” as the crone liked to call him — who, while at first a bit angry at having his eternal rest disturbed, after a bit of convincing, let Arthas provide him with some sustenance.

The crone did have a few additional requests, but these took no great effort. (When our hero (?) cold-bloodedly slaughtered an unsuspecting farmer in the HMV for the greater good, an outside observer might have wondered if everything was all right in his head… but there was no such witness, and it would yet be some time before such a hypothetical person’s concerns were definitively validated.)

Other events like the slaying of the king of stone dragons followed, and after a long and arduous process involving a horde of blue dragons (hah… your shock bolts do no damage to me, fools!), assassins and an unfortunate quickling bard, the emperor of all molochs perished under a vicious onslaught with the artifact arrow True Aim. Thus, the mightiest of all weapons, the Trident of the Red Rooster was retrieved.

Unfortunately, along came a lot of corruption incurred by the moloch ruler’s lair, and by a number of ChAoS artifacts retrieved, including the medal and scepter of chaos, wrested from the hands of Keriax, the multi-headed chaos dragon, and MaLaKaL himself. Arthas had begun hearing subtle whispering, gradually draining away his sanity. Upon his return to Dwarftown, to his great dismay, he saw one of its guardians transformed into a horrific chaos mutant by a corruption trap, attacking, corrupting and killing residents. The handiwork of some kobold trapmaster following him into the city no doubt, but at this point it didn’t matter. Determining that all the residents were potentially infected and that they’d be better off dead than transformed into disfigured chaos creatures, the paladin mercilessly slaughtered all that he could find in the unfortunate town — an event that came to be known as the Culling of Dwarftown.

Having finally lost all his grip on sanity, and urged on by the constant whispers, he saw to it that the whole world would be safe from chaos — for what is dead may not fall prey to it, now or ever. He returned to the royal palace of the dwarves, betrayed and murdered the antediluvian king. (While the enchantments on the throne room would have prevented him from entering at this point, to his misfortune, Rolf was on a stroll outside, invited out earlier by Arthas himself.)

Even though the whispers were eventually silenced by reading a certain scroll, the damage to his soul was way beyond repair. Proceeding to be crowned a true champion of ChAoS (and thus receiving the last in his set of elemental immunities, that against fire), the paladin-turned-honorary-chaos-knight decimated Ancardia: the residents of Terinyo, the Ice Queen, no one was safe. Killed the greater white unicorn for Riurry, and dived deep into the caverns of chaos, to finally meet his master and god, Andor Drakon.

In the process, in an ironic twist of fate, after becoming such a twisted inverse image of his former self, did he receive the artifact bow Sun’s Messenger to go with True Aim for throwing away a certain totally useless potion just before reaching the great chaos gate.

The balors and some other small-fry chaos creatures congregating near the gate were no match for his might. He spent some more time near its maddening radiance to make sure he was as close to ChAoS as possible, then stepped through the gate, to the palace of Andor Drakon himself.

There was his final betrayal revealed at last. Coveting the power of his god, Arthas, champion of chaos turned on him, and using all the power accumulated on his long, long journey, took the life of Andor Drakon — with the ultimate, strongest weapon in existence no less, the one whose retrieval brought on his very slip into chaos. Becoming the UlTiMaTe ChAoS gOd, reveling in his newfound power, he proceeded to unleash his horde of minions on his former homeland, wrecking it beyond recognition to remain a desolate wasteland for all eternity.
    Attached Files Attached Files