Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Appraising is worthless.

What surprises me more is how gear dependent some of you seem to be.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

lmfao. C’mon now. Most of us have played this game for decades. Let’s be realistic, all of us can play the game just fine without good gear, but gear can definitely make things easier. So that’s where appraisal can be useful. No one here is trying to say it’s an amazing skill, we are just trying to say it is indeed somewhat useful. You are welcome to disagree, but please be somewhat reasonable with your responses instead of just repeating the same thing and not making any new points. Perhaps you could submit an rfe if it’ll make you feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    but please be somewhat reasonable with your responses instead of just repeating the same thing and not making any new points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    A skill which is only useful potential is a small time frame in the game which relies on both a lucky drop and then randomly appraising said item has very limited use. If I cared to, I bet if I crunched the numbers and calculated the probability of when it might be beneficial it would come out extremely low. We are talking about a conditional event here: a useful item has to drop, it has to be in the time frame when the skill is still applicable, and said item has to be appraised. So stories about how it helped this one time don't really give an accurate picture of how often it is useful.

The window in which appraising MIGHT be helpful is ridiculously small. It makes sense for it to have some impact on barter prices, since knowing the value of items is essential to effective bartering in the real world, and such a addition would allow the skill to be useful beyond that tiny window where a lucky drop might help. Also if you can't get past the early game without out some fluke luck, then perhaps you need to revise your starting strategy.

I am the only one here that made an actual argument about the game mechanics. Regaling tales of the handful of times it was helpful doesn't paint a very accurate picture
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 08-12-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Except that’s not a new point, I only pointed out a specific character where it was indeed useful and I even pointed that the skill was somewhat contradictory in its intended use. In response you go on this rant where you explain the same damned point you made in the beginning. This makes me roll my eyes and attempt to refrain from saying no shit, dipstick! And let’s point out that using it for bartering as well would be pointless because money is absolutely meaningless once you reach dwarftown anyways. About the same point which appraisal loses most of its meaning anyways.

Let's stop pretending this is a game changing skill. If we were to rank the skill compared to the others it would be on the lower end of the scale. Just because sometimes on a random chance it aids a little bit that doesn't make it a great skill.

Literally no one has stated it’s a game changing skill. Ever.

Except that’s not a new point,.
    So? It is still a valid point. The fact that you don't see it as "new" is moot.

Literally no one has stated it’s a game changing skill. Ever.
    I am glad you agree it is a lower end skill.

Right, low end. Not useless. But not super useful either.