Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Appraising is worthless.

Lol, I was the one who first submitted that bug report :P thought it would’ve been properly fixed by now!

Well I suppose we all play differently. Personally, I still find appraising to be a worthless skill and I also would not set cooking on the bottom tier either. I think appraising could use a little extra boost to make it more viable throughout a greater part of the game.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

What would be a nice feature for cooking would be recipes for special food dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Yup (well, still better than some other stuff - each tier is arranged in order of decreasing usefulness). Preserving the rare important corpse is quicker and easier with fire, and I don't really see a big advantage to hurthling crownings with cooked corpses (over live sacs).
    What about cooking rats so you can save them to tame cats and you can save displacer beast corpses for an early game emergency teleport. And the fact you can use it to un-cruse cursed corpses, like troll corpses. It is at least a mid tier skill. Without a doubt better than appraising.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 08-12-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    What would be a nice feature for cooking would be recipes for special food dishes.
    That could be fun actually, tarantula with a garnish of alauria! Or sautéed spectre!

Currently though, I’ve found it useful for some characters early on to preserve useful corpses, or to increase value of sacrificial food, or more of the same, just more important for hurthlings. Although it’s value is a bit diminished for a caster character.

What about cooking rats so you can save them to tame cats and you can save displacer beast corpses for an early game emergency teleport. And the fact you can use it to un-cruse cursed corpses, like troll corpses. It is at least a mid tier skill.
    For troll, there's no difference between cursed and uncursed (and it's not a very impactful corpse effect anyway). Saving cats is a very low value thing for me, as you are already doing fine at D:36. Saving displacer beast longer for an emergency random teleport that also disables you... seems like the appraising anecdotes you accuse me of making

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    seems like the appraising anecdotes you accuse me of making
    I know I am making a point about this statement:

Well I suppose we all play differently.
    I use cooking, I don't use appraising. A ranking system needs more than just one person's opinion.

90% of the time I play a hurtling, so I end up just cooking everything. I use rats to train cats, not for the cat lord quest, I hate that quest and never do it. I do it for a short term companion, I save displacer beast corpses, and any corpse that gives a beneficial effect I just cook in case cursing is a factor. When I pass an altar I get a decent piety boost, for those full heals and I get my pre-crown without as much standing around.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 08-12-2018 at 10:07 PM.

If you play a hurtling merchant or farmer, with the increased carrying capacity by the time you find an altar you generally have enough corpses stocked up to get your pre-crown or near it on the spot. I am not a big fan of farming live sacs. I get my one artifact and then move on. Most the time I just buy my crowing with gold later on, maybe some more cooked corpses I picked up along the way.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 08-12-2018 at 10:13 PM.

I, for one, like hurthling necromancers. Yeah sure, food pres. stores corpsies long enough for undead slave usage, but I just Like having unlimited options I never use. Ok, so my reasoning sucks. It’s still one of my favorite combos plus strength of atlas lets me have unlimited corpse storage I don’t bother with precrowns. They aren’t worth it IMO artifacts are plenty, plenty early.