Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talents

I find skilled is pretty useful for elven characters as dodge usually has very poor dice rolls. It’s pretty handy for necro as well, as they even get mediocre dice for concentration, let alone food preservation or any other skills for that matter

I think Skilled is an attractive option for a wide range of R/C combinations. In the early game it lets you raise survival skills like First Aid faster. In the longer run, many characters have a few skills they find hard to raise. Imo, investing one talent here is often worth it. But investing two or even three of them is usually too much - although in a few cases you might consider it. Which makes it a very well balanced talent line.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Seems like unlike me, most people do the reasonable thing and take skills that enhance early game survival, where they make the most difference.

I almost invariably go for Treasure Hunter and Immune to Pain, both of which are more quality of life skills for the mid game. I may take Tough Skin and possibly Iron Skin early if the character faces a difficult early game though. Immune to pain just seems to make the TOEF so much easier, needing just the Elemental Gauntlets and the RotHK, or even having a spare ring slot if intrinsic fire resistance is acquired.

Immune to pain is a great early game survival talent too, one of the best.

Tried the Stealthy talent. I love it, it's another good option for early game survival now. It makes a very clear difference and can easily save your life if you run into some out-of-depth monsters early, for example in a mixed threat room.

I haven’t picked the stealthy talent ever... do you notice a significant increase in pick pocket success?

Yeah, it makes pickpocketing fail a lot less. But more importantly, it significantly improves your chances to walk away from monsters without being noticed. I don't remember the talent helping this much before the talent makeover.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Immune to pain is a great early game survival talent too, one of the best.

Tried the Stealthy talent. I love it, it's another good option for early game survival now. It makes a very clear difference and can easily save your life if you run into some out-of-depth monsters early, for example in a mixed threat room.
    Maybe I should try it.
    If I start with 2 I could get ItP at lvl 6 which isnt that bad, getting it at 9 ... I dunno.
    2 pv and -1 dmg is quite a lot at that stage.
    It does require 15 to and 15 will, which is sort of the character that I'd have a very good success rate with.

I'd probably take healthy+long stride instead.

I have spent the last few months trying to play through in one go (with zero saves) and during that ended up using all three skilled talents at start. I find that this means all the talents you start with (or can obtain fairly early) are maxed out by level 20 to 25. This means and potions / scrolls of education saved up to this point can be used to get new talents (almost all the time). Get two or three more, max them quickly, get two or three more etc.
    Jucidious use of Potions of Boost Learning help with this of course.
    In my most recent run through amongst my bonus talents were Find Weakness and Food Preservation (which max very quickly), Cooking and Alchemy (which can be easily encouraged to max quickly). There were a couple of other less exciting skills for my particular build/style (Music and Necromancy). But overall if you go for all three skilled talents I think it can be well worth it.
    Last edited by Rostelle; 12-21-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Add extra clarifier

Quote Originally Posted by Rostelle View Post
    I have spent the last few months trying to play through in one go (with zero saves) and during that ended up using all three skilled talents at start. I find that this means all the talents you start with (or can obtain fairly early) are maxed out by level 20 to 25. This means and potions / scrolls of education saved up to this point can be used to get new talents (almost all the time). Get two or three more, max them quickly, get two or three more etc.
    Jucidious use of Potions of Boost Learning help with this of course.
    In my most recent run through amongst my bonus talents were Find Weakness and Food Preservation (which max very quickly), Cooking and Alchemy (which can be easily encouraged to max quickly). There were a couple of other less exciting skills for my particular build/style (Music and Necromancy). But overall if you go for all three skilled talents I think it can be well worth it.
    I think you are mixing up a few things, find weakness and food preserv are skills as are what you get from potion of education.
    Talents are the special abilities you get every third lvl, and yes "skilled" is one of the talents but it only affects skills.

I think Rostelle was saying that the three Skilled talents make it easier to get NEW skills from potions/scrolls of education; whereas without the Skilled talents, it's harder to have 100% of skills maxed, so you're more likely to have PoE improve an existing skill.