Thread: Rune-Covered Trident; Ultra Endings

Default Rune-Covered Trident; Ultra Endings

Hey guys, I recently won with my second gate-closer, and had a question. For both of these characters, I did the water dragon quest, and went well above the level requirement, but I never received the trident. Is there something else I'm missing about the conditions required to receive it?

Tangentially, I was wondering about where to get started in terms of an ultra ending. I feel that that is the next thing I want to do after getting this second win. I know on paper what the requirements are in terms of the items I need to get and everything, but I was wondering if you guys had any more specific or important advice. Maybe in terms of race class combos, What levels I should be at for certain milestones in the playthrough, and other important things like that. In my second playthrough, I was very powerful and didn't struggle fighting with anything even at the end, so I'm wondering how much different that may be when attempting an ultra ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Sting View Post
    Hey guys, I recently won with my second gate-closer, and had a question. For both of these characters, I did the water dragon quest, and went well above the level requirement, but I never received the trident. Is there something else I'm missing about the conditions required to receive it?
    The trident probably got delivered and you didn't notice and left it on the ground (it's very easy to miss if you play with tiles). Try checking the artifact list in the high score game log (or flg file). If the rune-covered trident is on the list, then you simply missed the delivery.

Tangentially, I was wondering about where to get started in terms of an ultra ending. I feel that that is the next thing I want to do after getting this second win. I know on paper what the requirements are in terms of the items I need to get and everything, but I was wondering if you guys had any more specific or important advice. Maybe in terms of race class combos, What levels I should be at for certain milestones in the playthrough, and other important things like that. In my second playthrough, I was very powerful and didn't struggle fighting with anything even at the end, so I'm wondering how much different that may be when attempting an ultra ending.
    1. Pick the same combo you won with, or something similar. You already know how to play it well enough to ultra. Steer clear of trolls (slow leveling) and maybe orcs (at risk from aging pool sips).
    2. Start out with a lawful ending as it's the simplest. Satisfy the ratling early (maybe with something like 3x map fragment [ID, griff, arena], ancient key, sword of nonnak, tome of donors), talk to Gaab'Baay, and convert to L.
    3. Don't be in a hurry to fight Keriax, and don't worry about in-game time.

Oh I see. So does the trident just appear at your feet when you hit level 36? It's not brought to you by an NPC or anything? Okay that sounds good. How worth it would you say pool sipping is? I've never done it since I did it a lot with my first gate closer and only lost intrinsics and got doomed over and over. Second gate closer was plenty strong enough and got a RoDS so I wished for Find Weakness and was pretty much set. Also does the Tome of Donors still work if it becomes the ruined libram?

And i should be chaotic up until Gaab'Baay, and then switch to L?

Oh I see. So does the trident just appear at your feet when you hit level 36? It's not brought to you by an NPC or anything? Okay that sounds good. How worth it would you say pool sipping is? I've never done it since I did it a lot with my first gate closer and only lost intrinsics and got doomed over and over. Second gate closer was plenty strong enough and got a RoDS so I wished for Find Weakness and was pretty much set. Also does the Tome of Donors still work if it becomes the ruined libram?
    No, there is a text message with the delivery also but as said, easily lost in other text spam.

And i should be chaotic up until Gaab'Baay, and then switch to L?
    AFAIK: Once you receive the boar skull quest from Gaab'Baay, you're free to switch your alignment.

Just watch out for the alignment hit from killing farmers, I’d recommend buying a companion and ordering them to murder farmers for you.

I prefer doing all Gaab stuff before switching back and crowning L, feels less risky.