Thread: GOG / ASCII version

Default GOG / ASCII version

I am planning to buy the GOG version of ADOM and i wonder if someone knows does it include the option to download ASCII version (~2mb) also? Also, does GOG always upload the newest version of the game for download as they are released (both graphical and ASCII -versions) - so that one-time payment also includes future versions?

The graphical version makes the cpu throttle (annoying noise) and drains the battery way faster, so i don't want that one even it can be played in ASCII-mode.

Unfortunately I believe the deluxe version doesn't come in ascii-only as far as I'm aware but I have not bought the GoG version myself so I don't know that for certain. The free version is quite fine although it won't have some of the deluxe features it's still the full game, just without a few of the customization options.

What do you mean by "free version"?

I don't need any deluxe features or any customization options, just good ol' plain ASCII -version as in the downloads section: https://www.adom.de/home/downloads.html

The available version is 3.0.6 (JAN 2018), i would really like to have a version with recent bugfixes and of course i'm willing to pay for it - if one is available somewhere (GoG?).

In the deluxe(paid) version you can switch to ASCII mode by going to "Settings" then "Game Settings" from the starting menu, and then choosing Display Mode - ASCII - there is probably a option to do that in the free version also.

You can but the deluxe version on either GoG or Steam.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Yes, i know that a version can be bought in which you can play in ASCII-mode. That one is ~600mb - includes graphics etc. which make the cpu throttle (annoying sound) and eats up the battery fast - even if you play in ASCII-mode.

I'm asking is there a way to get (purchase) a ~2mb in size version of the game in a version newer than 3.0.6. As in the downloads section of adom.de : "ASCII Version, text-based graphics only, download size ~2mb, will run on almost anything".

I would also love a Deluxe pure ASCII version, preferably on GOG. I also use some very low-end machines for playing ADOM and they can't handle the NotEye ascii-tile version from GOG without slowing down, which is annoying. On the other hand, the free pure ASCII version doesn't have the customization options and annoys me with the "Buy deluxe screen because of reasons" every time I launch it.