Thread: Rolling a new character: What's the diff between points and questions?

Default Rolling a new character: What's the diff between points and questions?

I started a Ratling Assassin, answered the series of questions about my history, and arrived at these somewhat silly and terribly fun stats:

ST: 15
    LE: 20
    WI: 10
    DX: 19
    TO: 20
    CH: 4
    AP: 5
    MA: 11
    PE: 21

So, questions:

1) Why are these starting stats so much better than a straight point buy? Did I just get lucky? (From experience, point buy wouldn't allow 3 attributes at 20 or above.)

2) I didn't come close to this result when I tried it again with another Ratling Assassin or experimented with other race/class combinations, so I'm a little confused how the questions work when determining stats. I'm not looking to game the system, but, like, a clue about what's normal here. Are answering the questions always a better option when starting out? How much do starting stats matter in the long run?

3) I don't have Concentration, but does my high LE score mean I will be able to learn a few spells? I'd love to have an Assassin who knows "Slow Poison" or "Darkness." I.e., non-combat spells that fit the role.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've been playing for about a week. (Bought the GoG version; already obsessed.) I tried Googling around about these questions but didn't find any strong answers.

1. Luck. Your stats are influenced by your back story (completely random), your race (base score you can see in point buy), your class, questions(If you selected that option), gender, and a random roll to every stat.
    This can get you completely different characters every time you play.
    Alternately, point buy is completely non-random, so while you won’t get any crazy good characters, you at least won’t get a crappy one!

2. Starting stats are fairly important early on, but it’s pretty easy to train everything to 25 after reaching dwarftown. Don’t get discouraged by crappily rolled characters in the future, as a good crystal tower shield makes you more survivable than awesome stats will (basically lucky equipment finds more than make up for bad luck stat rolls)

3. No. Get concentration first. Learning spells is influenced by class, star sign, status of book, learning, literacy skill, concentration, and race (trolls get bad chances) your assassin is looking to blow up the book or get a stat drain by reading spell books even with 20 le.