Thread: Ultra Ending PC: Changing Alignment to L+at PC Level 50?

Default Ultra Ending PC: Changing Alignment to L+at PC Level 50?

Hi! After a looong long time, I got the ADOM bug again; I downloaded the free version and played on it for a couple of weeks. Being used to the Public ADOM server (RIP ), I was really missing ADOM Sage (which allowed you to roll specific characters for stats and items).

So, I decided to buy the Steam version. This game has provided so much entertainment along the years, and it was due time I paid something for it. The point system is great, especially when you keep dying as you get used to the "new" GUI (I play on text though, but love the health bars), old habits, and just being bad in general. So far, I've died to:

-Holding A to pick up stuff and accidentally setting myself on fire due to Alchemy....5 times at least (Tip: Hotkey Alchemy!)
    -Suicide due to bouncing magic....4 times at least.
    -Once of all those PCs found the scorched spear, one of the "new" bracers, seven league boots and a cloak of invisibility before level 10. This was in between the starting dungeon, Druid and a bit of the Infinite Dungeon. I forget how it died (I think it was one of the bouncing magic ones), but it was in the Puppy Cave. As it turns out, vile spirits are a thing now, and that particular spirit killed around 5 other PCs until I could kill it.
    -@ Lvl 2X with a bunch of artifacts and gear after clearing the IQD & respective Jarl Cave, heard a distant "Hurumph!" and though "Yeah, I can take that in melee as a Wizard, no problem". Turns out Stunning resistance is not Paralysis resistance, and 300 HP + 50 PV was not enough to survive either. (Tip: No drinking while ADOMing! As with life, it can make you do stupid things).
    -Another very promising one died after doing the Jarl Cave; vault was undead so I was going to come back to it. Still not having learned my lesson with the Dorn Beast, I attempted to melee a Stone Ooze without resistance. This particular ooze was apparently a uber ooze, because it killed me in about 3 hits (50-120-80=>Dead), nevermind the paralysis that would have probably killed me anyways.
    -And many, many others .

But, after all this death and stupidity, I learned my lessons and currently have a level 50 Drakeling Wizard who's ready to bash Andor Drakon's face!

I was unfortunate in that no AoLS or wishing source dropped naturally; I had completed basically all you can do at that point: Darkforge, Tower, all normal & random Dungeons except for the Crumbling Dungeon (which spawned a Quickling royalty that apparently got turned into a chaos spawn; turns out, 1200 speed and 10 attacks per turn takes a LONG time and deals a bunch of damage; I somehow survived the first round and teleported out. Came back with the TotRR to get revenge!). No Minotaur Maze though, I lost my last Ultra Wizard in it about 3 years ago.

So, I ended up drinking from Darkforge in a desperate attempt to get a wish. Luckily, it took around 10 sips to get one; I lost teleport control (for which I grinded the Infinite to get it back) and Acid resistance (which I soon got back due to Acid Blood corruption).

By this point and after grinding a bit to find the wish, I was a walking lizard of death and destruction, so the rest of the game was sort of a breeze. The artifacts in the Jarl caves were the new armor that gives Willpower and corruption resistance (that thing is busted, wtf), and the bloodthirsty dagger which I haven't used; the rune-covered spear carried me from level 16 (Raven) to basically all the rest of the game, up until the Emperor Moloch, at which point it was replaced by its big brother.

She's now completed the quests necessary for the Ultra Ending (got my TotRR, Medal and Crown), has all the Orbs, and is now looking to fulfill her destiny as a Champion of Order. She's also a cat lover, so I got a nifty ring to prove it.

-----

(I started wanting to ask a simple question and got carried away typing the log above...TL;DR: See below)

-----

The problem is that, apparently, getting to L+ is not as easy as I remember. I want to give it a shot though, as at this point there isn't really anything else I can do. I read about the new Dwarf Quest too late, and you need to NOT kill dwarves before meeting Rolf. If I understood correctly, the Ultimate Dungeon is also out by extension .

Anyways, the question I pose today is: What can I do to get to L+ at Level 50 on the latest ADOM version? Has much changed on this topic since the old days?

• Cast a healing spell on an injured pet/companion: +6 alignment per cast
    • Give blessed stomafilia herbs to a beggar: +2 alignment per herb
    • Use a whip to self-flagellate: +1 alignment per 5 damage
    • Hire a non-chaotic mercenary from the borderland settlement: +2-6 alignment per hire

At worst, you need to gain 3749 alignment (from 1251 to 5000).
    Last edited by Grond; 10-30-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks for the info; it seems that the old methods still work! What I remember was that you could use a scroll of familiar summoning/get Hawkslayer and go to the Water Cave or the Tower to get a constant, easy damage source. If I have the math right, it's 625 heals from LN to L+. Question on this, does the amount healed matter? That is, is Cure Light Wounds as good as Heal, for our purposes?

Whipping was the other one I remembered; it was somewhat a pain to do at high level due to the natural PV increase (unless you have a whip of slaughtering or of the snake). I don't think I have either, but I'll rummage through my stash and shops.

Also, I was able to get to LN fairly easily on a Lawful altar, but after spending a good 10 minutes sacrificing small and not so small amounts of gold (10-20K each time, spent around 400K), I concluded that it wasn't having any effect after that. I also did quite a few live sacrifices on it but I'm unsure what the effect is at this point. I had an altar spawn in the last level of the Scintillating Cave that I could convert for mass sacrifice of high level stuff. I also have around 2 million gold that I wouldn't mind using for this if it meant reducing the amount of grinding. I guess my question is, does sacrificing at an altar has a limit as far a how much it can increase your alignment to L+? Is that why you're counting from 1250?

Quote Originally Posted by Revontulet View Post
    Thanks for the info; it seems that the old methods still work! What I remember was that you could use a scroll of familiar summoning/get Hawkslayer and go to the Water Cave or the Tower to get a constant, easy damage source. If I have the math right, it's 625 heals from LN to L+. Question on this, does the amount healed matter? That is, is Cure Light Wounds as good as Heal, for our purposes?
    The amount of damage healed doesn't matter.

Also, I was able to get to LN fairly easily on a Lawful altar, but after spending a good 10 minutes sacrificing small and not so small amounts of gold (10-20K each time, spent around 400K), I concluded that it wasn't having any effect after that. I also did quite a few live sacrifices on it but I'm unsure what the effect is at this point. I had an altar spawn in the last level of the Scintillating Cave that I could convert for mass sacrifice of high level stuff. I also have around 2 million gold that I wouldn't mind using for this if it meant reducing the amount of grinding. I guess my question is, does sacrificing at an altar has a limit as far a how much it can increase your alignment to L+? Is that why you're counting from 1250?
    Sacrificing on lawful altars doesn't affect your alignment if you're already lawful. I counted from 1250 because I incorrectly assumed you were already at L.

Gotcha, so you can only get to LN by sacrificing at altars, right?

Thanks for the tips on this Grond; I was able to get myself to L+ and crowned as a Champion of Order. I used Hawkslayer + Water Cave + Cure Light Wounds to get it done. To be honest, I though it would take much longer in real time, but it was around 30 mins total.

For anybody else that may read this, bring a wand of door creation to the cave and seal the first room with the stairs off!. It will avoid other monsters from biting Hawkslayer, getting him on panic mode, and you having to chase him around the cave while healing (which will make the whole process take much longer, specially if you're not faster than him). Monsters in the cave seemingly can't open doors, and if you close them (Magic Lock or keys), neither can Hawkslayer (or most companions, really).

Quote Originally Posted by Revontulet View Post
    Gotcha, so you can only get to LN by sacrificing at altars, right?
    At lower levels you can jump from NL to L in one sacrifice, but yes, once you are LN no further progress is possible with altars.

I'm a little surprised that "wear a blessed amulet of order" hasn't already been mentioned. That's all I did to get to L+, though admittedly at a lower level. Does that no longer work at 50?

Amulet of order stops working at level 47 (level 46 for Tree-born, level 2 for Chaos Knights).

The quickest method, if you have it available, is self-flaggelation with a whip of slaughtering while wearing negative PV armor.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzpa88 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that "wear a blessed amulet of order" hasn't already been mentioned. That's all I did to get to L+, though admittedly at a lower level. Does that no longer work at 50?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Amulet of order stops working at level 47 (level 46 for Tree-born, level 2 for Chaos Knights).
    Yeah, it stops working at different levels for different PCs. You still seem to get the messages, but it doesn't do anything else.

I found this with some more in-depth info:

http://www.adomgb.info/adomgb-app-A-order-mech.html
    Last edited by Revontulet; 11-15-2018 at 12:54 AM.