Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out what to do with my wish

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I strongly disagree. There are many items worth wishing for, and sitting on a wish without using it is a waste, especially if you end the game and still never used the wish because it was "too good to use".

Some examples. Early game, yes eternium tower shields (plural) are good, but sometimes you already got a good crystal shield. Then Red Dragon Scale Mails are also awesome, as are rings of regeneration. If you are an archer, pairs of seven league boots are still a great way to keep your distance to monsters for the rest of the game, even after the nerf. If you are a mist elf, a ring of elemental mastery might save your life several times. If you are a beastmaster and have to rely on raw strength, a girdle of giant strength is worth it.

Late game, when it is too late to save Khelly, there are many other great uses for wishes. If you are a shortlived race like Orc, potions of longevity can prevent death, where a potion of youth would be too late. If you are a wizard, spellbooks of acid ball are awesome and if you are a priest, even more so. If you're a monk, magical writing sets give you an ungodly heap of SOCR, more than Khelavaster. If you're an archer, wishing for fletchery sets is awesome in the late game, you end up with a huge supply of stacking arrow at worst and a huge stack of super arrows with a little luck.

Even a ring / ammy of teleport control can be worth a wish, that's what I would have advised the poster above if it wasn't too late. It is the most important intrinsic in the game and can't be wished for directly (although you could wish for a blink dog instead).
    Well you can "strongly disagree", but I clearly have a difference perspective. ADOM has no shortage of treasure, so I don't see as much value in wishing on items over skills. Due to the fact there is an abundance of treasure in the game and the fact that item routinely get destroyed, I prefer wishing for skills when I can. If you want to do it a different way, then by all means go for; we have both been playing this game for an extremely long time, so I am sure whatever method you have works just fine, but I have a different approach to wishes which also works just fine.

I would consider wishing for a spell book to be similar to wishing for a skill; however, if you are a spell-caster (especially wizards) then wishing for a spell book would seem like a waste to me. However, I moved away from spell casters some time ago, and play mostly melee now. Spell casters are just too easy, but I will play them when I let fate pick the set up for me.

Also I already noted there are special exceptions (such as your potion of longevity), and as far as the late game, in the late game I just sit on wishes, as I have no need for additional items or skills, and I rather have them as a just in case. However, any toon that makes it to the late game rarely needs the help of a wish, as by that time they are walking death machines.

Now, I am not saying there are hard rules to always follow when wishing this is just my preferred approach. In this case I would have not recommended wishing for a some form of TP control, as blink dogs are fairly common and the alignment impact is not that hard to manage.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 11-24-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    However, any toon that makes it to the late game rarely needs the help of a wish, as by that time they are walking death machines.
    Too true. For a late game character it is usually more a matter of playstyle / convenience how you handle wishes.

One particular option of interest for an archer (like posted above) is spellbooks of farsight. No other character in this game feels as godlike as a high-level archer with a ridiculous line of sight. That feeling is worth a wish.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Too true. For a late game character it is usually more a matter of playstyle / convenience how you handle wishes.

One particular option of interest for an archer (like posted above) is spellbooks of farsight. No other character in this game feels as godlike as a high-level archer with a ridiculous line of sight. That feeling is worth a wish.
    When I played wizards, farsight was one of my top three spells. Farsight, magic missile and teleport makes you just about unstoppable.

However, I am not a big archer player either, see you seem to go for some type of range approach, so maybe that is why you tend towards those type of wishes. I like melee, I go for the toe to toe combat, which is why I value a shield early on with a high DV.

Find Weakness!
    Belt of Giant Strength!
    Seven League Boots!
    Rings of regeneration!

No, I just wanted to mention it because this thread was started about a wish for an archer. I favour melee with minimal shooting as well and my favourite r/c is dwarf monk.

And naturally, my ratling beastmaster drank a Potion of Wonder, learned how to cast Wish.

Only 5670 Power Points! Wish me luck, folks!

No, I just wanted to mention it because this thread was started about a wish for an archer. I favour melee with minimal shooting as well and my favourite r/c is dwarf monk.
    I just never favored wishing for items that have a significant chance of being destroyed. I know people like 7LBs, but personally I just don't think they are worth a wish. I just don't put as much value in them as the general public seems to, range or not. Ya, they are nice boots, but to me they are not wish worthy.

I also feel the same way about girdles of giant strength. They are nice items, and I hope to find them, but normally not something I would use a wish on. If I was playing a monk I might reconsider that one.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 11-25-2018 at 04:01 PM.

With 7LB, the trick is to wish for "pairs of seven league boots". You will then get a few of them with a single wish. One of them might be destroyed, but rarely all of them. (Assuming of course that you are a little careful).

With a monk I would neither wish for a GoGS (my monks fight with weapons, not hands) or 7LB (monks move fast enough as is) - but GoGS is great for beastfighters imo, and if you bless and rustproof it the risk of item destruction is not *that* high.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 11-25-2018 at 06:29 PM.

With 7LB, the trick is to wish for "pairs of seven league boots". You will then get a few of them with a single wish. One of them might be destroyed, but rarely all of them. (Assuming of course that you are a little careful).

With a monk I would neither wish for a GoGS (my monks fight with weapons, not hands) or 7LB (monks move fast enough as is) - but GoGS is great for beastfighters imo, and if you bless and rustproof it the risk of item destruction is not *that* high.
    I believe you can no longer wish for pairs of 7LBs, I think it is one pair per wish now. Not that that would have convinced me; I never considered it a very convincing aspect before.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 11-26-2018 at 02:11 AM.

I wonder why noone ever mentions the Food Preservation skill which is wishable. It could bring so good profits that is wish-worth for me for sure. You can be sure that those corpses will sit in your inventory while you're running to Guthalak, so it's SOCRs source; maximising the chance to obtain valuable corpses like gelatinous cube and so on also helps alot. Also ultra ending farm. Alas, no wiki page nor forum says that it's wish-worth. Am I missing something?