Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Figuring out what to do with my wish

Food preservation is one of those quality-of-life wishes, just like wishing for Detect Item Status. You don't see it on the wiki because there are nearly always other options that give you more raw power, right away. The farmer corpse for an ultra ending is a special case, I believe they have a very high chance of dropping a corpse when the quest is active, even without Food Pres.

Preserving corpses for Guth'Alak can be done by 'cooking' them with a wand of fire and then blessing them. A blessed cooked corpse will last quite long without food pres.

Also, a lot of valuable corpses are Animals (blink dogs, giant slug), and you can farm their corpses with arrows of hunting that you can milk from barbarians in the wilderness.

But if you like the skill by all means go for it, sure.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Something to keep in mind in general for skill wishes is that you receive the new skill at rank 20. For most skills, the bulk of the benefits come at high ranks. If the skill is difficult to train, your class has bad dice, or the character is already high level, it might not be possible to increase a wished-for skill to a useful level. Food Preservation is actually fairly good in this respect, as you do get a benefit for increasing it to just 60, most classes have decent dice in it, and it's fairly easy to train. The wiki's recommendation for Archery is more suspect, as fewer classes have good archery dice, and reaping the full benefits of the skill requires getting it to a high level and then gaining at least four more character levels.

Speaking of skills to wish for, I think Alchemy is underrated, especially for short-lived races. With the new potion shops, ingredients for youth and longevity are almost guaranteed, and you may get a few PoGAs later in the game on top, and offensive alchemy and the other recipes can be useful situationally.

Thread is maybe getting a bit old but in OP's case I'd wish for find weakness 10/10.
    That stilt corruption is one of the best possible for an archer, keep at any cost.

If I had find weakness I'd probably save for khelavaster or go for 7lb.

My top prioritys (as melee/ranged class player) usually goes something like.
    Save khelavaster
    find weakness
    gogs (more fun than 7lb)
    7lb
    concentration (can be higher with certain race/class combos if I also have useful books)

Another pretty good archer wish is whips of the snake.
    Wield two whips and get +14 dex = more damage increase than a gogs, and +14 speed on top of that.
    Item destruction and flimsy material makes it a bit of a dicey wish tho.
    (edit: not sure that a wish does provide more than one)

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Another pretty good archer wish is whips of the snake.
    Wield two whips and get +14 dex = more damage increase than a gogs, and +14 speed on top of that.
    Item destruction and flimsy material makes it a bit of a dicey wish tho.
    (edit: not sure that a wish does provide more than one)
    It's less damage than GoGS for melee. You only get around +1 missile damage per 4 points of Dexterity. Also you only get one per wish, which amusingly enough can make it worse than GoGS for ranged damage with arrows and rocks.