Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out what to do with my wish

Default Figuring out what to do with my wish

I'm playing a Grey Elf Archer, Crowned L+. I got True Aim as my crowning gift. I'm pre-ToEF. Early on a RoDS dropped, but I didn't have it identified so Khelly ended up dying. I ended up using it to wish for a Pair of Seven League Boots. I've completed the Water Temple. I found a sweet weapon, a Stone Axe of Devastation early on. Have a pretty cool Ring of Slaying. I haven't found any good armors yet, even after raiding Darkforge. I'm still wearing the Mummy's clothes. Here are some things that are bothering me:

(1) I don't have Teleportation Control. I'm not sure how to go about getting this. Just a few minutes ago I killed a blink dog by aiming an arrow behind it while wearing a Blessed Amulet of Order. I was thinking of scumming I3:I4 for blink dogs, but I'm really worried about the alignment hit. How viable is it to just keep targeting behind the blink dogs while wearing the AoO? The first one I killed didn't move me down from L+.

(2) I have no Waterproof Blanket. I guess this wouldn't be the end of the world, but there's a river right in the middle of one of the levels below the Water Temple. I have no Wands of Cold. I really don't feel like building a bridge across; I rather stop playing the character than build a fucking bridge. I don't want to drop my equipment off at the river then venture through the rest of the CoC without it.

Right now I have one Scroll of Magic Mapping, some potions of booze, and a Wand of Teleportation. At the beginning of the game I went into the SMC and leveled up twice. I haven't explored the UD yet. I feel like I'd *like* to get teleportation control, grab the blanket from the SMC, then dive the UD. Then I'll grab the RoI from the Dwarven Mystic. Not sure if that's actually a good idea or if I'm just autistically focused on doing the UD because I always do the UD.

I've also not played this game for a really long time, around five years now. Back then I did an ultra ending with most classes, but right now I'm just trying to get a gate close finish. I'm not really too familiar with the "new" areas like the Ice Queen. Not sure what areas I should be hitting before doing the ToEF. I've got some good dragon and demon slaying ammo. Not sure if I should be saving my SoMM and teleportation charges for the ToEF.

Anyway, I started sipping on the pools in Darkforge and right now I have the "What do you wish for?" dialogue up. Not sure what I should wish for. What would you do? I've currently got one corruption, the stilt leg corruption. I'm not sure if I should keep it. The bonus to energy costs seems good.

Red dragon scale is always nice, or a skill of your choice, or eternium full plate.

Duly noted. How do I solve my lack of Teleportation Control though?

Killing blink dogs drops your alignment a lot faster than amulet of order increases it. You can probably kill quite a few dogs without losing lawful alignment, but if you want to be absolutely sure of getting teleport control this way, it would be good to have some more efficient ways to increase alignment. A wish for "rings of teleport control" or "amulets of teleport control" doesn't seem like a bad idea in this case. In addition to the items you mentioned, you can kill the dwarven veteran in HMV for an eternium chain mail (pretty major alignment hit, so you'll want to be L+).

As far as new areas go, Ice Queen area and Fungal Caves would make sense to do before ToEF.

Quote Originally Posted by sytar6 View Post
    Duly noted. How do I solve my lack of Teleportation Control though?
    For managing your Alignment, wearing a blessed amulet of balance might help. (one page I read says it only works if you are neutral.)

For the blink dog harvest, consider naming the first one you see, and avoid killing it. By only killing the clones, you leave the source able to spawn more. Also use weapons or ammo of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    For managing your Alignment, wearing a blessed amulet of balance might help. (one page I read says it only works if you are neutral.)
    That page was correct. Amulet of balance is useless for this character.

Buy some companions from the new village and have them kill blink dog for you. They aren’t hostile for lawful characters so find some weak ammo you have no skill in and shoot 1 square past it to piss it off first so it’ll summon more

I went ahead and wished for Red Dragon Scale Mail. I went to the new village and got a companion, a swordsman. I trained him up on weak monsters in ID. Eventually he just got lost somewhere. So I then got the bright idea to find some bones, tame a blink dog, and have it summon friends to fight monsters. Figured that would get me the corpse I needed. In the process of trying to find the bones, I happened across a tension room with a blink dog. I used a Scroll of Familiar Summoning and got a Vapor Rat that ended up dying in a single turn. I ended up killing one more of them than I wanted, and I got dropped from L+ to L. But I got a corpse in just a few tries. So now I have TP control. I also found a waterproof blanket randomly while I was busy looking for the blink dog. I wore the AoO for a little and even got back to L+. Yay. All is well that ends well. Thanks for the tips guys.

edit

I'm sure glad I dived the UD. The shop in HMV had Bracers of Pure Might.
    Last edited by sytar6; 11-12-2018 at 12:05 AM.

I personally think in most cases the amulet of life saving to save Khelavaster or an eternium tower shield are really the only two items worth wishing for. There might be special cases like if you need potions of youth or a ring of ice, or something like that, but for the most part I tend to favor skills over items and a lot of times I just sit on the wish in case I need it to solve a later problem.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 11-23-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I personally think in most cases the amulet of life saving to save Khelavaster or an eternium tower shield are really the only two items worth wishing for. There might be special cases like if you need potions of youth or a ring of ice, or something like that, but for the most part I tend to favor skills over items and a lot of times I just sit on the wish in case I need it to solve a later problem.
    I strongly disagree. There are many items worth wishing for, and sitting on a wish without using it is a waste, especially if you end the game and still never used the wish because it was "too good to use".

Some examples. Early game, yes eternium tower shields (plural) are good, but sometimes you already got a good crystal shield. Then Red Dragon Scale Mails are also awesome, as are rings of regeneration. If you are an archer, pairs of seven league boots are still a great way to keep your distance to monsters for the rest of the game, even after the nerf. If you are a mist elf, a ring of elemental mastery might save your life several times. If you are a beastmaster and have to rely on raw strength, a girdle of giant strength is worth it.

Late game, when it is too late to save Khelly, there are many other great uses for wishes. If you are a shortlived race like Orc, potions of longevity can prevent death, where a potion of youth would be too late. If you are a wizard, spellbooks of acid ball are awesome and if you are a priest, even more so. If you're a monk, magical writing sets give you an ungodly heap of SOCR, more than Khelavaster. If you're an archer, wishing for fletchery sets is awesome in the late game, you end up with a huge supply of stacking arrow at worst and a huge stack of super arrows with a little luck.

Even a ring / ammy of teleport control can be worth a wish, that's what I would have advised the poster above if it wasn't too late. It is the most important intrinsic in the game and can't be wished for directly (although you could wish for a blink dog instead).
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.