Thread: Steam will stop running

Default Steam will stop running

While I have a GOG version on a win10 machine, I mainly play a steam version on XP. They say Steam will stop running on XP in 34 days. How can I keep playing on my XP box? I always have it in offline mode, but it seems to connect to my Steam acct for DRM and just snooping. Thanks.

You have a couple options:

1) Easiest thing is to install Steam on your Win10 machine and play the Steam version there. Windows XP end of support/security updates was years ago, you really shouldn't even be connecting to the internet with it, that's why Steam is dropping it.
    2) Install a Linux VM on your XP machine, install Linux Steam in the VM, download Steam Adom in the Linux VM and play there. XP's virtualization support sucks and you'll likely have performance problems, but it'll "work" if you refuse to consider option 1.

3) Install the GOG version on XP. This works if you don't use the Galaxy client, but the direct downloads: https://www.gog.com/downloader/listing/adom

The Steam and GOG version use different data folders, so you have to copy over some files if you want to continue games from the Steam version.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Hey, thanks JT. I used the link you provided, and found I had to install their Downloader first. Tried with Downloader, and also the "DL as backup files" which I found gives the same fileset as through Downloader. I've never installed Galaxy.

I'm sure this is a GOG issue, but I get an Error - The procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNAL32.dll

FWIW, GOG support says it's not GOG related, but game.

The entry point error is related to the Galaxy.dll and because of this it doesn't start on Windows XP. I guess in this case there isn't much we can do about that.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa