Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stone giant corpses and potential

Default stone giant corpses and potential

According to the wiki, Stone Giants are one of the corpses that can raise your potential strength. Can someone confirm or deny this for the most recent builds? I've been munching on a lot of them and my strength seems to be stuck at 15/15.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Stone giants will work all the way up to 22/22, if not higher. As you've seen, however, the chances for an increase are not great (~10% for your level of strength).

Can confirm that they work all the way up to 22; couldn't raise potential over after dozens of corpses

I wonder if the fact that dark orc corpses work the best is intentional or an oversight... I kind of miss the days when you could push potentials.

I like it the way it is, makes potions of potential strength really valuable.
    Typically, I play elves so my starting strength is 10-15, class/roll dependent and 2-4 points more for potential but I don't complain.
    The initial training goes via being strained and at the time when I've gathered enough items, some potions of pot. strength are available and I can handle giants.

I kind of like how a lot of things sort of synergize to produce the effect of continuous strength training by increasingly more demanding tasks, culminating with dropping frost giants in FGJC with hunting missiles.
    Personally I think this is a good balance overall.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I like it the way it is, makes potions of potential strength really valuable.
    Typically, I play elves so my starting strength is 10-15, class/roll dependent and 2-4 points more for potential but I don't complain.
    The initial training goes via being strained and at the time when I've gathered enough items, some potions of pot. strength are available and I can handle giants.

I kind of like how a lot of things sort of synergize to produce the effect of continuous strength training by increasingly more demanding tasks, culminating with dropping frost giants in FGJC with hunting missiles.
    Personally I think this is a good balance overall.
    I think there should be some guarranteed potions then, or even a guarranteed wish by mid-game wouldn't be overpowered. Sometimes the RNG doesn't procure.

There’s almost guaranteed potions in the new village. Easily bought Potions of exchange and potions of booze allow near infinite rng scamming.

There are also a number of quests that offer garantueed stat increases (ice queen, Rolf) and the Maze has garantueed stat potions. The orb guardians offer another garantueed source of (potential) stat increase, you can harvest stone giants (if tedious), learning can be raised with the oracle and then you get a big poga reward for helping the black unicorn. Greater claw bugs can raise dex.

So yes, there already exist a number of garantueed sources.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    There are also a number of quests that offer garantueed stat increases (ice queen, Rolf) and the Maze has garantueed stat potions. The orb guardians offer another garantueed source of (potential) stat increase, you can harvest stone giants (if tedious), learning can be raised with the oracle and then you get a big poga reward for helping the black unicorn. Greater claw bugs can raise dex.

So yes, there already exist a number of garantueed sources.
    Not what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    According to the wiki, Stone Giants are one of the corpses that can raise your potential strength. Can someone confirm or deny this for the most recent builds? I've been munching on a lot of them and my strength seems to be stuck at 15/15.
    I don't really expect "regular" stone giants to push potentials, well maybe hoping for it if str is as low as 15 but ....

Stone giant lords however, they are a lot better as are dark orcs (and fire giant kings and frost jarls).
    At 15 you could probably get an increase with muscle mushroom (not garantueed drop tho), mushrooms can push potentials if stats are low enough.
    Not sure if orc butcher or giant boar pushes past potential.