Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old player's general impressions after playing tiles seriously for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Elven assassin is easy mode now?

I'm having a hella fun on steam now as well. The cute dog looks absolutely adorable, I think that's my favourite so far. At the moment I'm busy failing the Rolf quest again and again, I get stuck on a specific point but I don't want to spoil you. Do play around with the talents, some of them have improved big time! Healthy is especially notable, it is about as good as, and stacks with, the Candle sign.

Don't know about you, but my Adom sure got a little rusty. I killed a high level beastfighter because I misremembered the weight restrictions for a frozen piranha lake.
    Just now I nearly killed an OP hurthling archer by zapping the unidentified wand of teleportation to grab the SoCR from the high mountain village. Woops, that wrenched the final charge.. I was lucky to carry a wand of wonder and heap of booze and manage an escape.
    Hahahaha... I just had a similar situation last week, with a scroll of random monster summoning. Got a werewolf, soaked up a million tons of hit and got a scroll of teleportation. Felt better than closing the gate.

)!)*!/[?%?!$*)%?"/]'"/"*(
    #########################
    ....>..**....*.@H########
    #########################
    [*([~'$(?[![]]!["$?"[)(/'
    )$()$?/")%%$'?'"*(?)/?][(

Yesterday I explored some more stuff - Ice Queen domain is an interesting set; while in ASCII it looks somewhat bland, in tiles it gets a certain conservative but compelling look.
    The 80x25 window size does not however work that well with tiles in my opinion. The levels feel stretched horizontally, more so than in ASCII.
    Also, using walk mode to traverse corridors is not easy on the eyes - it's kind of choppy. However, it ceases to be an issue when manually exploring.
    I got to R6 cave and at some point almost died to a berserker emperor, not realizing it wasn't a regular one. I guess in some cases, monster tiles should be more distinct and threatening.
    In ASCII, any unusual color and a rare letter of the alphabet were relatively certain indications of a dangerous enemy.
    I believe tiles could benefit from that, if colors are tuned accordingly.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."