Thread: Can you get crowned/precrowned twice?

Default Can you get crowned/precrowned twice?

Bit of a newbie question that I never got around to answering. Wiki was a bit vague on the topic.

Thanks!

You can get pre/post crowned (i.e. just receive completely random artifact) multiple times. You can only get crowned (i.e. permanent blessing, elemental immunity, class-based artifact) once.

You can only get crowned once.
    To get a pre-crowning gift there must not be too many artifacts in the game already
    There is a formula 8+(3*QuantityOfArtifacts) which is compared against your experience level
    So if you are level 8 and no artifacts have been generated you can be precrowned once
    If you are level 11 and no artifacts have been generated you can be precrowned twice
    If you are level 14 and no artifacts have been generated you can be precrowned three times etc.

Yes.. you should also know that the amount of piety that is required increases with each additional pre/post crowning and it increases pretty steeply.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I precrown somewhat compulsively. Generally speaking, one precrowning is possible with almost any altar that is not in a corner. Dwarftown can work as well.

If the alter is lawful or chaotic, it is easiest to convert yourself by saccing 1$ until you're lawful or chaotic. If the alter is neutral and you are neutral or chaotic, it is best to turn the alter chaotic by sacrificing neutral monsters on it until it converts to chaotic, then convert yourself. Lawfuls can first try to make a neutral altar lawful, and then go chaotic if they accidentally become neutral. Keep in mind that the neutral god will remain angry if you ever want to convert back. Hang out (w5) by the altar and sacrifice live monsters. If the flow of monsters ebbs, it's time to clear the level, as there's probably bats, a mimic or some breeder. I also go up and down the stairs to restart monster generation, though that may be superstition.

The first precrowning can be reached in a few minutes like that, at least playing in ASCII. The second takes between 150 and 200 additional life sacs in my experience if you don't need to pray for food or healing in between. If the altar is placed badly (meaning monsters would have to go around many corners to reach you, which will make them stuck and not come quickly enough), or the danger level is below 3 or so, or you don't have stomafilla available, it's generally not worth trying. The sacrificial flow can be greatly improved if you have means of digging available, just make sure that monsters can come the the altar as easily as possible.

Perhaps a bit counterintuitive, I'd advise only to go for a second precrowning if you received a good artifact for the first. Getting two craptifacts is extremely frustrating. A third only makes sense if you have stomafilla available and enjoy hours of tedium only to get the black tome. I've done that only a very few times, and it's only really bearable if you have an altar in PC5 or the putrid cave.

To precrown in Dwarftown, you need to be level 11 without having generated any artifact except the si, which includes the tome of donors, the black torc, any map fragment and the potion of literacy. Level 14 works if you generated one of those, but for most races that already stalls the game into boredom. Convert yourself and lead down monsters from the level above. If the altar is neutral, you need to be careful about not saccing neutral monsters. Also if you are neutral, sacrifice until you are absolutely close (which would indicate crowning), then lead a dwarf up the stairs and kill him, bringing your alignment to N- or NC, then pray.

All that being said, precrowning is not really necessary to win or enjoy the game.
    Last edited by Lowkey; 12-25-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Stomafillia is finite now, you can only get a maximum of 60k piety before your god starts refusing it.

I'm pretty sure there's a cut-off for maximum number of pre/post crowns, which stands at 6.
    After that, no amount of sacced gold could generate enough piety to get another artifact, even when all the other conditions have been met.
    I tried this in one of the late 2.x.x versions so it could be different now.
    Done this with cheat engine to have complete control of levels and artifacts generated and infinite amount of gold for testing purposes.
    On the other hand, getting more than 1 pre/post crown (or two if the conditions are *very* favorable) is crazy in my book.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Unless something has changed, the P-crowning costs were tested for the Guidebook long ago and all fifteen post-crowns were achieved.

Piety is capped at +/- 1 million now, presumably as a fix to the piety overflow bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedit View Post
    Unless something has changed, the P-crowning costs were tested for the Guidebook long ago and all fifteen post-crowns were achieved.
    Something has changed, perhaps as Grond said - restricted to ~ 1m piety as a bug fix. That 15 postcrowns was indeed a long time ago. Now the value is much smaller.
    Because the amount of artifacts already generated determines at what experience level can you get pre/post-crowned again, the maximum number of post crowns would be 14 (since one artifact was already obtained via regular crowning).
    It was theoretically possible to be precrowned fifteen times, as you can get precrowned at level 50 and then crowned at the same level but achieving that in-game was virtually impossible.

This whole thing might need a bit of further testing with the most recent version.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."