Thread: Running the Gog version of Adom attempts to make an internet connection

Default Running the Gog version of Adom attempts to make an internet connection

I got my Adom version 3.3.1 Deluxe through Gog.
    I have actually installed it on a stand alone PC which is not usually connected to the internet and doesn't have wireless.
    I have noticed a fairly slow start up time.
    Investigation of the adom.log file shows

Code:
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : Ancient Domains of Mystery (version 3.3.1, release 99)
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : -------------------------------------------------------
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : GOG instance created
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : Initializing GOG
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : AuthListener instance created
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : Starting GOG background process
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : Creating GOG background process
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : User sign in
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : IsFullyInitialized 1
    <2019-01-10 10:05:13> INFO  : GOG process started
    <2019-01-10 10:05:28> INFO  : Authentication failed, probably Galaxy is not running
    But as far as I can tell only the adom.exe is running.
    in fact this message list occurs if I just double click on the adom.exe file.

Does anyone know if there is a way of suppressing this pointless 15 second attempt to connect to Gog's mothership.
    Pointless because, as I mentioned earlier, the PC is not internet connected.

I wondered if this attempt to connect was embedded code in the adom.exe file or perhaps fired by one of the .dll library files ?
    Does anyone know ?

DL the game files only via the "offline backup game installers" option. It still DLs some Galaxy DLLs but it's freestanding. So cool to have gotten away from the version borged with Steam.

Hi Mitres, thank you for the reply, only just got to trying it out
    Unfortunately it doesn't change the situation
    I download the file (setup_adom_3.3.2_(26055).exe)
    Uninstall adom completely (saved my .msg and .noe files first)
    Install adom on the PC not connected to the internet and run it
    Log file is created showing the 15 second delay while GOG fails it's on-line authentication process
    Looking in the executable installation folder there is a .dll file Galaxy.dll
    I strongly suspect this is the application extension doing the attempted process
    It does appear the version of the adom executable supplied through GOG has this embedded as a non-removeable feature
    Have searched through registry, couldn't find anything useful
    (for instance was wondering if the 15 second loop was reduceable to one second)
    Heigh Ho
    Perhaps I'll have to try on the GOG forum
    Last edited by Rostelle; 01-21-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: correction

Good luck. the only other thing I can think of is the Galaxy client may have survived the adom uninstall, or make sure to run from adom.exe and not LaunchADOM icon.

Just rename/delete the Galaxy.dll. This should work because this DLL is only loaded if it is found. ADOM doesn't need it to run.
    Last edited by jt; 01-24-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Hi jt, thanks for the advice
    I had already tried this but got a "File not found" error identifying Galaxy.dll as the missing file
    On mitres' previous advice I checked and although I had removed Gog Galaxy from the PC in question there were still clear traces of it. So I re-installed and then uninstalled it again. Now although the log file still reports
    GOG instance created
    ::: through to :::
    Authentication failed, probably Galaxy is not running
    It no longer takes the 15 seconds so (it appears to all take less than a second according to the log file)
    The result is I don't get any noticeable delay so I'm content with that.