Thread: Anyone else love Chaos Knight playstyle...

Default Anyone else love Chaos Knight playstyle...

...but hate all it's restrictions?

By that, I mean it's extreme randomness on a turn by turn basis. It's a shame such an awesome concept is so heavily restricted from using shops and the like. Does anyone else wish there was a significantly weaker variation that could still access lawful content?

Mind you, I'm not saying Chaos Knights should be able to access that stuff. IMHO they'd be WAY too strong if that were the case. As is, they still seem to wreck face so long as they have an answer to food problems. But it would be nice to have a class that sits somewhere between Bard and Chaos Knight in terms of randomness while still being able to experience most content.

Am I the only one who wants a separate class that takes the Chaos Knight style in a different direction?

My feelings are pretty much the opposite :-)

The heavy restrictions are what make the class interesting, while paying attention to your class power rolls isn't worth the effort. What ruins the class for me is actually being able to circumvent most of the restrictions with some temporary alignment switches. I'd prefer a stronger version that doesn't get any benefit from changing alignment.

Significantly weaker version of CK is basically Fighter. A bit less random, but theme of heavily-protected warrior is close enough. Having played as CK a lot randomness is not a big deal.
    The fact that access to content can be circumvented via alignment switch does not bother me. A lot of grinding methods exist - i just choose not to use them.

Instead i would be more interested in more classes with restrictions that make you change your playstyle.

Been playing a few. If you're in the mood to faceroll the game this class ticks most of the boxes, with usually best pv and dps in the game at character creation.

The main obstacles I've found are literacy, swimming, and securing food. You generally want to manually alter your learning if you want to start with literacy, and you're a perma-cripple if you miss out on it since ancient dwarf will not be providing potion of lit.

Then the ratling traders refuse to deal with you, meaning securing the artifact from the fungoid boss is valuable... unfortunately he's locked behind a river, and rivers do criminal damage to those without swimming skill... not yet established if Blup will teach swimming (would make him a massive ingrate if he didn't but it wouldn't surprise me since it seems quests from lawfuls are banned without exception)...

is actually being able to circumvent most of the restrictions with some temporary alignment switches.
    Is this true anymore? I was unable to switch from -C at a neutral altar no matter how many single coins I sacced...

A hurthling CK has no problem getting food, that's why I like them.

Getting literacy is possible without changing your alignment, the ghost librarian grants it if you complete his quest.

No idea about altars, but changing alignment should still be easy by feeding a beggar lots of demon daisies.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    A hurthling CK has no problem getting food, that's why I like them.
    Exactly what I've been playing and sometimes food is a problem for me, seems all down to luck.

Getting literacy is possible without changing your alignment, the ghost librarian grants it if you complete his quest.
    Did not know that. Pretty late stage of the game to get an inventory id though!

One alt but luck dependent option would be a dark sage corpse...
    Last edited by auricbond; 03-01-2021 at 06:36 PM.