Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balance in version 3.3.3, what do you think?

Default Balance in version 3.3.3, what do you think?

Hi, just noticed that game became MUCH harder. Monsters are like ~30% stronger, and those purple traps converts monsters in the chaos masses too fast. Really, that scary purple 'j' killed me _three_ times in half hour, all characters below level 10. And there's no escape, it moves so fast and the damage is terrible.
    That happened in 3.3.3 or before? I'm not new to ADOM, completed the game several times, including ultras. Early game was never easy, but now it seems to be unplayable.... v___v

The issue with writhing masses having super speed might be relatively new, but I think the game has mostly been getting easier since 3.0.4 (which nerfed potion of invis).

There are some measures you can take to not die to writhing masses. Be sure to pay attention to the corruption trap activation messages; if you don't already know where the trap is, you really want to get off the level as soon as possible. Wand of fireballs or wand of teleportation should completely neutralize the threat of early-game writhing masses. Potions of self-mutilation can also be fairly effective, as the writhing mass retains the HP of the original monster. As a last line of defense you could try fighting in true berserk; one hit will likely kill an early-game mass, and true berserking greatly increases your chances of hitting a 35 DV target.

General monster difficulty has not been increased. Not sure why they would feel 30% stronger (playing weaker combos? personalized mode with tough monsters?).

See https://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=6320

I do think this is the most urgent bug in the game to fix right now. Last game I played, I was literally obliterated by a lightning-fast wmopc in the first dungeon I visited. Being confronted with such an OP out-of-depth encounter right away really shouldn't happen. Roguelikes are known to be unfair but this is too much.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

The new high number of traps plays into the prevalence of WMPC also.

Since when are there more traps?

>playing weaker combos? personalized mode with tough monsters?
    no weak combos, no modes.
    It seems for me that monsters hit me harder. Just feeling. I played adom for more than decade and know how early game feels. Now I feel it... different

>Be sure to pay attention to the corruption trap activation messages
    the latest death by wmopc happened somewhere in floor 3-5 of Village dungeon. Once I found that trap I moved to the next level, and message appeared only 2-3 times. While traveled back to the exit, I walked near trap and was happy that there's no wmopcs. Two turns after that - I found him... well, not like that. IT found me, because it appeared from the back and in 3 turns it managed to move ~9 squares, on the next turn 'you die...'
    The character was below lvl10 (Hurthling-Weaponsmith). That is early-early game

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Since when are there more traps?
    Since Trapmasters became part of the monsterscape... Frequently spawning and just randomly walking around laying traps. Not sure if RNG itself is a co-conspirator, but trap rooms seem more common.

Trapmasters got nerfed into near-irrelevance over a year ago. Outside of line of sight they only create around one trap every 300 turns. They also aren't particularly common; looking at rogueleague I'm seeing <20 kills in extremely long games, and <10 in normal gateclosers. Giving kobolds the ability to ignore traps has probably done more to reduce the number of writhing masses generated than trapmasters have done to increase it.
    Last edited by Grond; 03-20-2019 at 08:41 AM.

I'm starting to think I should update one of these days

In normal games no issues, when I've tried tough monsters I've had same issue with WMOPC.
    Ie both that they spawn very easily in early game and if I'm not out of that dungeon/floor lvl then rip.