Thread: New player: a question on curses

Default New player: a question on curses

Greetings, Started playing a few weeks ago and have been watching various lets plays and what not. Hoping someone can clarify a question or two for me.

When you put on a piece of cursed equipment, does it give your character the same intrinsic as having a character curse or does it just mean the item is cursed and can't be removed? The wiki isn't very clear on how that works on the back end between the two. Also do some blessings override incoming curses happening after? I got crowned then post crowned for the first time and melee killed 2 different karmic lizards on accident (color blind and thought they were other types. doh) but my buffs still said blessed. How does that work? I thought it was supposed to remove my blessed (via removal of fate smiles / lucky)

On the former question, I know there are items that specifically doom you. If I were to put on a ring of doom while I'm fate smiles / lucky from a crowning does it just negate it out or does it cancel and put me all the way to doomed?

The cursed/blessed items vs intrinsic stuff isn't well explained/shown in game.

Thanks!

Cursed items do not cause the character to be cursed.

For the character, blessed is a status effect separate from the various varieties of good and bad luck. It's not possible to lose the blessed effect from crowning except by changing alignment and becoming a fallen champion. On the other hand, the blessed status does not provide any protection against losing good luck intrinsics or gaining bad luck intrinsics by meleeing karmics.

Pretty much all luck stacks. A character that is doomed and has fate smiles is luckier than a character that is just doomed. That said, there are a number non-luck-related penalties to being doomed that cannot be mitigated.

Also removing curse/doom intrinsic is generally pretty easy, once your above a certain piety level any sacrifice will remove them. (I think at the "Spiritually invincible" stage)

Uncursing items is also relatively easy simply dip them in holy water or read a scroll of uncursing - holy water can be made by dropping water on an altar after the "very pleased" piety level is reached.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Quote Originally Posted by ghostjghost View Post
    Also removing curse/doom intrinsic is generally pretty easy, once your above a certain piety level any sacrifice will remove them. (I think at the "Spiritually invincible" stage)
    You need to be at "very close" or higher for this.

Thanks guys. Good to know about the sacrifice thing. I keep getting doomed/cursed and not even realizing it until I die.. lol Not sure where its coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
    On the former question, I know there are items that specifically doom you. If I were to put on a ring of doom while I'm fate smiles / lucky from a crowning does it just negate it out or does it cancel and put me all the way to doomed?
    It is possible to have lucky, fate smiles, cursed, and doomed intrinsics all at the same time. You even get an achievement on Steam for this For example you can get doomed by meleeing karmic beings or pool sipping or whatever, and then put on the Ankh which gives you Lucky and Fate Smiles. Or you can get crowned (giving Lucky and Fate Smiles) and then put on a Ring of Doom.
    I'm not sure if you can have Fate Smiles without Lucky, or if you can be Doomed without being Cursed...

Quote Originally Posted by mjz15 View Post
    It is possible to have lucky, fate smiles, cursed, and doomed intrinsics all at the same time. You even get an achievement on Steam for this For example you can get doomed by meleeing karmic beings or pool sipping or whatever, and then put on the Ankh which gives you Lucky and Fate Smiles. Or you can get crowned (giving Lucky and Fate Smiles) and then put on a Ring of Doom.
    I'm not sure if you can have Fate Smiles without Lucky, or if you can be Doomed without being Cursed...

Gross. That would explain so much of the mayhem I've had come out of nowhere... lol. Perhaps I've just been conditioned over my 30 years of RPG's but I just assumed curse counters bless and vice versa, etc. This whole time I was accidentally killing a karmic lizard, or eating a demon corpse when I meant to eat the giant, then frantically rushing to get blessed somehow to remove it.

Is divine prayer the only way to remove those intrinsics that isn't a luck of the draw thing (like eating a karmic lizard corpse, they are rare and never drop for me).

Quote Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
    Is divine prayer the only way to remove those intrinsics that isn't a luck of the draw thing (like eating a karmic lizard corpse, they are rare and never drop for me).
    To my knowledge praying doesn't remove cursed/doomed intrinsics. You need to make sure you're "very close" or higher with your deity, and then if you get cursed or doomed, go to the closest altar of your alignment and make a sacrifice (1 goldpiece is enough). After the cursed/doomed intrinsics are removed, you will receive the message "You feel a terrible gloom being lifted from you".
    Reading a scroll of luck will remove cursed intrinsic, but it will not remove doomed intrinsic. I don't know what happens if the scroll of luck is cursed, but to avoid unfortunate surprises I recommend not reading cursed scrolls of luck

I have been conditioned to always look at any type of lizard I encounter, to make sure it's not karmic before I attack it.
    Last edited by mjz15; 04-04-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Yeah I'm slowly being conditioned on the damn lizards. I'm severely colorblind and the shifting they do is a nightmare for me to parse without watching them close as they move across tiles lol. In the heat of battle when I'm being swarmed on all sides (the cavern level enroute to dwarf town is a common 'fuck me' spot) I tend to miss em. lol.

Do you only get the karmic penalty if you KILL them with melee or just hit them?

Hitting them is enough. If you get the "you feel that this was a bad idea'-message, you have been penalized. You don't get the penalty if you attack but miss them.