Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your best non-artifact weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    Most damaging one-hander would probably be Wicked Eternium Flail of Devastion, (8d7+16)
    Wicked large eternium hammer of devasation is better : (-1, 6d12+16)

Dear god.. just found an eternium two-handed sword of penetration in Darkforge.

Now to use it or not? This character is an archer, so I really wanted to train shield and spear.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Why would you need shield and spear with an archer? They stay out of range anyway, right?

Train up your two-handed skillz and deliver pain and destruction onto the likes of the Ancient Stone Beast.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Haha it'd be absolutely foolish to be flailing away with something like an orcish spear and shield when you have stuff like that lying around

Okay, I'll explain my reasoning. Yes, of course an archer always tries to keep a distance from dangerous opponents, but on certain occasions this is not possible (summoners, monsters that walk through walls (ghost lords!), teleporters). For those critical moments the most important thing your two weapon slots can provide is a good defense, since the most potent offense will be ammo, especially slaying ammo.

That was my thought, if you have any advice how to avoid ever getting hit by a ghost lord while using a two-hander please tell. This is an orc, so it matters, and also learning to cast teleport is not really an option I think?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Oh, by all means, train your polearms and shields, if you feel safer that way. Personally I have never missed the Teleport spell when I had wands of teleportation, as booze is rather plenty.

If you have the spellbook, Literacy at about sixty (where it usually stops giving decent increases), maxed Concentration and Learning in the upper tens or higher (Garth), learning to cast Teleport is an option. You only need a single book reading success - after that you can bookcast the spell.

Just realize that your sword is probably the most awesome weapon you will find in your life - and still one of the, if not the most effective method to kill high PV monsters you have. Of course, penetration as an effect is worthless against any kind of ghost.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I had a recent character who found both an eternium two handed sword of devastation and an eterinum halbred of penetration. Great combo to have. Go TH!

If you raid darkforge at higher levels the chance of getting good prefixes /sufixes improves.
    Last edited by Krogg; 08-24-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Best I've had has been eternium-shod quaterstaff of devastation (+8 6d10 +16) it had some scrolls of increase melee accuracy used on it. I've also had 2 chars; a DE fighter and an Orcish barbarian that have both had Eternium longsword of devastation (+1 6d8 +13) not the best on the list but still pretty brutal altho my barb was using the Axe of the minatour emp and that sword just sits in his bag.
    I'd love to see a brutal eternium warhammer of devastation tho, that would make me happy... VERY happy

Wicked adamantium longsword of penetration on a dwarven fighter. Smithed this up a bit and it had me laughing like a maniac as I swathed through high PV enemies like they were butter.
    ________
    Vape vaporizer
    Last edited by fazisi; 04-02-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Here goes another vote for the eternium two-handed sword of penetration. This baby is totally crazy. Murderous eternium two-hander is also nice, esp. for characters with find weakness (and the kitty mood ring), but my dark elf bard was scoring so many criticals anyway that i simply went with penetration - i think i one-shotted a few stone grues thanks to penetration enhanced with find-weakness crits and the blessed weapon bonus.

Apart from that, an orcish spear of devastation pulled from an orc vault in the UD proved sufficient as all-game weapon (but needed a higher-metal backup for ToEF and Darkforge); i figure an endgame-capable weapon grabbed from ordinary mobs by a ~7th level troll should count as pretty damn powerful.