Thread: ASCII on deluxe version.

Default ASCII on deluxe version.

Hi guys,

After a long break, I think I am ready to play ADOM a little bit again.

Given that I only like to play it in ASCII mode, I have a question for you.

How is the ASCII version of deluxe ADOM? Can it be personalized (changing the font and it's dimension, for example) and does it feel the same as the free ASCII version?

I'd love to have the starsign choice and the health bars, but last time I plaid it, I just couldn't bear with it. So I am playing the free version, but the random starsign drives me crazy (I only like Raven chars).

Thank you in advance for the input.

There are several different options for font. It's technically possible to add more, but this requires some fairly serious tinkering with NotEye. The font resizes to fit the window.

For the most part it can be configured to feel the same as the pure ASCII versions, although the settings controlling the speed of animations are in a different place. Walk commands are slightly slower.

There is a free tiles version which has the same NotEye configuration options as the paid version, so you can try that out before buying the deluxe version.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Walk commands are slightly slower.
    On my machine the walk command is REALLY slow. But I have a slow machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    There is a free tiles version which has the same NotEye configuration options as the paid version, so you can try that out before buying the deluxe version.
    I have the deluxe version. I bought it a long time ago just to support Thomas, but I always preferred the free ASCII version. There used to be a starsign selector a few years ago, but it's not up to date AFAIK.

I guess I will have to continue playing the way it is, or hope that Thomas will release someday an ASCII version with starsign selection.

Getting back to the issue.

Is it possible to use deluxe saves on the free version of the game?

Yes, it's possible. I used deluxe to generate a custom char and then played it without any problems on the free version, since it's faster.
    Not sure if version number has any relevance but in case it does, I made sure both ADOMs were 3.3.3.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."