Thread: Wishing ammo

Question Wishing ammo

I'm playing an HElf archer and was just crowned with Sun Messenger and i'm heavily tempted to specialize exclusively in Bows. but i'm a bit scared that if i do i'll get crazy amounts of slaying quarrels and no arrows, so i was wondering if i would land on some extra wishes and wish for, say arrows of humanoid slaying, how much will i be getting these? I tried looking this info up but didn't come by it anywhere nad was wondering if anyone has done tests on it.. Also i'd like to know if slaying ammo of different types (ie. arrows vs. quarrels) yield different amounts and does wishing for ammo with different slaying properties (ie. humanoid slaying vs. jelly slaying) give different amounts.

You can't wish for slaying properties. Your best hope is to wish for fletchery sets. If you're lucky you might end up with a stack of 100 arrows of slaying, and otherwise you will at least no longer be afraid to run out of ammo.

EDIT: oops, mistake, never mind sorry
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 08-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Wishing 20 times for arrows of humanoid slaying resulted in a total of 473 arrows, for an average of 23.6 arrows per wish.

Wishing 20 times for quarrels of humanoid slaying resulted in a total of 423 quarrels, for an average of 21.15 quarrels per wish

Wishing 20 times for arrows of jelly slaying gave a total of 466 arrows, for an average of 23.3 arrows per wish.

Wishing 20 times for quarrels of jelly slaying resulted in a total of 419 quarrels, for an average of 20.95 quarrels per wish.

These tests are too small in scale to draw any real statistical conclusions, but it would appear that the type of arrow/quarrel wished for does not matter, and there is very little difference in quantity when wishing for arrows vs. quarrels.

Notes: Tests were done in a danger level 4 environment by a level 50 bard.
    EDIT: If information such as B/U/C status or the actual stats (EG +0, 2d4+3) of the missiles is needed, I can provide that as well upon request.
    Last edited by Ascaron; 08-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    You can't wish for slaying properties. Your best hope is to wish for fletchery sets. If you're lucky you might end up with a stack of 100 arrows of slaying, and otherwise you will at least no longer be afraid to run out of ammo.
    Arrows of *foo* slaying are treated by the game as different items as regular arrows, so can be wished for.
    However, regular prefixes and suffixes for armor, missiles, and weapons cannot be wished for.

A list of all missiles that can be wished for can be found here: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Missiles

Wow! Thanks Ascaron!
    If you'd like to provide the B/U/C of these i'd be grateful!
    I also thought that foo slaying ammo is considered separate items and thus can be wished for

Archers can win the game relatively easily even without slaying powers (I have done it by throwing shields only and shields really doesn't have slaying powers :P). If you are running out of arrows you can wish for fletchery sets and make about 500-1000 arrows or maybe even more if you use blessed logs only.
    And if you have some slaying arrows, use them only against the hardest monsters (like some orb guardians or balors) and regular arrows against anything else.

I thought you could wish for some boomerangs of slaying? I swear I read that at one point out here...

You honestly won't need to wish for ammo though. At all. An example:

My current archer is hoping to complete an ultra, but totally failed to find a wish for Kelly in the pools of darkforge. Decided to do the ToEF, hope for a dragon drop (found several wishes there in the past. I used my two fletchery kits on logs, and obtained 20 or so arrows of thunder, and 40 something barbed arrows, and loads (hundreds and hundreds) of normal arrows.

Ok, so I was lucky, I had a ring of ice, but even without it the Tower would have been a breeze - just use up all those (+2, +0) bows you find, and take a stack of 400 (1d6, 0) arrows in with you, who cares if you loose some?

So anyway, the Wyrm - I used 3 arrows of thunder, stunning him on two separate occasions, and I think about 10 relatively normal barbed arrows to kill him. Archers really don't need slaying ammo at all, its just icing on the uber deadly cake.

And you have suns messenger, so you don't even have to burn through your (+2, +0) bows...

And yeah, I didn't see Sami's post

Quote Originally Posted by phauli View Post
    Wow! Thanks Ascaron!
    If you'd like to provide the B/U/C of these i'd be grateful!
    I also thought that foo slaying ammo is considered separate items and thus can be wished for
    Arrows of humanoid slaying: 8.4% B, 81.0% U, 10.5% C
    Quarrels of humanoid slaying: 11.5% B, 82.7% U, 5.6% C
    Arrows of jelly slaying: 3.5% B, 84.4% U, 22.2% C
    Quarrels of jelly slaying: 19.6% B, 71.6% U, 7.8% C

Of course, due to the small size of these tests, those numbers are not at all accurate, so I don't know why I bothered posting them :P

In my past tests for different items, I've found that items have a 10% chance of being blessed, 80% uncursed, 10% cursed when created.

Tests that have shown this include both the times I wished for 100,000 bracers of toughness (one in a DL1 area, one in a very high-DL area), my repeated tests morphing items with potions of exchange, and my various smaller tests wishing for items.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I thought you could wish for some boomerangs of slaying? I swear I read that at one point out here...
    Wishing for boomerangs of slaying gives rings of slaying.

A wish for "Find Weakness" (if you don't already have it) will make your regular 1d6 arrows more effective too. I'd definitely prefer to wish for this than a bunch of humanoid slayers.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!