Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwarves are drama queens

Default Dwarves are drama queens

So you displace them a couple of times, simply because ADOM Sage makes it so easy. Suddenly they're all "The dwarven guardian doesn't seem to like being pushed around" and getting hostile on your ass. And what's even more unfair, after you kill him, as you are obligated and justified to do after he went and was a dick to you like that, Waldenbrook suddenly goes ballistic too.

Dwarves are real drama queens.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I've known that since Dwarf Fortress.
    Speaking of, what's with the cat love in both games? Cat Lord in ADOM, and the cats claiming Dwarves in Dwarf Fortress. It's so diabolical, those fiendish cats...
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Drama queens? No no no, they are a noble race of master craftsmen. How could you be so rude as to step on his toes? That is highly indignifying, you know. Not to mention that it hurts!

And also, all of this was just a cleverly disguised trick to rob the guard of his money, wasn't it? Well you can't fool old Waldenbrook. (And you can't fool owls*.)

*: just google "can't fool owls"
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Speaking of ADOM sage displacing, today I started a beastfighter and went to Terinyo. Picked up my quests and bought some food, then went to leave. I noticed a child was following me so I thought, meh he can come, I'll enjoy watching him die. I get to the edge of town and get "you can't leave while under attack". I must have pissed the child off and the only way I can think of is displacing him. That's never happened to me before and coincidentally I've only recently been playing with ADOM sage. So anyway, I transformed the kid into a mangled heap and continued on my merry way The people of Terinyo were fine with it too; perhaps the kid had leprosy or something ?

Swapping places with any non-hostile can turn them hostile after a while - a good reason to be very careful when playing with Sage.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Cripplefish View Post
    Speaking of ADOM sage displacing, today I started a beastfighter and went to Terinyo. Picked up my quests and bought some food, then went to leave. I noticed a child was following me so I thought, meh he can come, I'll enjoy watching him die. I get to the edge of town and get "you can't leave while under attack". I must have pissed the child off and the only way I can think of is displacing him. That's never happened to me before and coincidentally I've only recently been playing with ADOM sage. So anyway, I transformed the kid into a mangled heap and continued on my merry way The people of Terinyo were fine with it too; perhaps the kid had leprosy or something ?
    That's partly why I disabled that particular setting in Sage. Terinyans are ok if you kill someone who's hostile toward you, they don't move a muscle. All my ultra-attempting gnomes use ventriloquism to confuse (and turn hostile) a farmer and then kill it without no one getting upset. Beware of using this in Dwarftown, becaues Waldenbrook will summon muscular dwarves and attack you if you kill a dwarf, even if that dwarf was hostile. He will also attack if you've created a trap and that trap kills a dwarf. No one else in DT will care though, and from then on, once Waldy is dead, you can kill them all you like, no one can summon muscular dwarves. Heck, you can kill off all the inhabitants one by one, except for the elder and the priest. If you attack them, the whole town becomes hostile. Otherwise the dwarves will just watch you murdering their children/guardians. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha !

I'm going to disable the auto-displacing. Adom sage looks good and I like the coloured text for stat increases/decreases and skill increases, but the main reason I use it is for the suppression of messages in the ToEF. Message spam really pisses me off like in a room full of spider webs "the -foo-gets stuck in a web, the -foo- struggles against a web holding him, the -foo- breaks free from the web, the -foo-gets stuck in a web, the -foo- struggles against a web holding him, the -foo- breaks free from the web"

AHHHHHHHHHHRRGGGGGGG!

Heh, I still get that with ADOM Sage. I actually can't play without the displacement thing now, it gets so annoying to have to crawl through the (y/n) messages when I simply want to walk through a town without Sage.

I actually downloaded a really nice color configuration for Sage recently, which colors a whole lot of text as you play. Colors for pickpocketing successfully, dealing damage, kills, and exp, for ex. in addition to the generic coloration you can get from stat-ups and such. It really is very nice.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    That's partly why I disabled that particular setting in Sage. Terinyans are ok if you kill someone who's hostile toward you, they don't move a muscle. All my ultra-attempting gnomes use ventriloquism to confuse (and turn hostile) a farmer and then kill it without no one getting upset. Beware of using this in Dwarftown, becaues Waldenbrook will summon muscular dwarves and attack you if you kill a dwarf, even if that dwarf was hostile. He will also attack if you've created a trap and that trap kills a dwarf. No one else in DT will care though, and from then on, once Waldy is dead, you can kill them all you like, no one can summon muscular dwarves. Heck, you can kill off all the inhabitants one by one, except for the elder and the priest. If you attack them, the whole town becomes hostile. Otherwise the dwarves will just watch you murdering their children/guardians. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha !
    Question. The answer is probably yes. But does DT get mad if you kill a hostile dwarf that was generated OUTSIDE DT but killed IN DT? Other hostiles are targets for the guardians and such (cats spring to mind) but i never lured a hostile, foreigner dwarf to dwarftown.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    Question. The answer is probably yes. But does DT get mad if you kill a hostile dwarf that was generated OUTSIDE DT but killed IN DT? Other hostiles are targets for the guardians and such (cats spring to mind) but i never lured a hostile, foreigner dwarf to dwarftown.
    Wished for a dwarf outside the town. Made him hostile by casting scare monster unsuccessfully on him. Took him down the stairs to the town. Waited till he'd hit me a few times, just in case it makes a difference, then killed him.

Muscular dwarves were summoned to try kill me, and the town became hostile.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki