Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOM Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    I agree that we should port Guidebook to Wiki (of course after asking Andy for permission).
    I disagree. But we need a wiki for JADE.

I suppose we could have a rule that whenever you enter information, you add "[unconfirmed]", unless it has been already confirmed in a discussion somewhere (then you should add a link to this discussion). You can also confirm someone else's information and remove [unconfirmed]. Some people would check the Recent Changes and verify that these rules are applied.
    Sounds reasonable.

The nice thing is: we have the forum to test if a user is lawful/chaotic.

We should only give wiki accounts to people who have been active in the forum for some time (not a long time - two weeks without any misbehavior is enough to scare away the spammers. We really don't want to limit the use of the wiki, right?). For everyone else, we would need a request-an-edit feature (either a discussion page in the wiki or a forum section).

Edit:
    since it is open source
    As far as I know, JADE will be open source too

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic
    As far as I know, JADE will be open source too
    Really? Can you share with us source of that information? I don't remember Creator writing anything about Jade as open source(please correct me if I'm wrong).

Three things:

• On the old JADE page there is a "Source Code" section.
    • In 2004, he already published the Javadocs there.
    • As he said here (December 2007), he requested a free license of IntelliJ. It is very likely that this means he told them he is doing an open source project.

TB, please do it! We'll send you tons of postcards!

Uhm, I wouldn't be sure about it. Those things you listed doesn't really forejudge about anything(especially first two things - Creator already published parts of source code on blog, so I think that "Source Code" section was designed for parts or examples of source code). I'm also not convinced if releasing JADE as open source really would be good thing.

Anyway, no matter if JADE will be open source or not, I'm going to send TB some postcards when it will be released.
    Last edited by Macros; 03-09-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: minor grammar mistake

Now that we have a forum, maybe we could ask the Creator himself? Its the only way to be sure...

TB? Are you here?

I'm not sure why we wouldn't want to port the guidebook to a wiki. As it stands now, any time you read something you have to hunt for the related information. With a wiki, everything related is a blue highlighted word away.

But since it's already confirmed there will be an ADOM wiki (as well as JADE), it's more important to discuss how it might be implemented. I think the idea above of only giving accounts to people who post here often is very bad. Not only would it require moderation to see who qualifies, it ruins the best part of wikis.

I think it's important that people can make at least minor to somewhat minor edits without logging in, since there will be maybe 10x as many people who read it and would fix minor problems or add a sentence, than would add something significant and want to take an active roll in its management. Graffiti tends to be minimal, especially in locations where fewer people are going to see it (why not deface wikipedia instead).

As far as inaccurate information goes, I don't think someone would post something as fact unless they were fairly sure it was accurate. If they aren't sure, they would likely qualify it as having been "observed, but unconfirmed" or something like that.

In general people really aren't malicious, especially in endeavors that benefit them and in projects they have some dedication to. Anyone who seriously tries to get anywhere in ADOM has that dedication, we all know that. I've never seen a "casual" rogue-like player (maybe for -bands). Casual for roguelikes takes more time, effort and dedication than your average Red Sox fan has for MLB.

I've seen that, on the newsgroup, people sometimes post YAGBUs without proper checking. Hopefully they wouldn't add such a information to Wiki as a confirmed fact (only as a hypothesis), but some rules could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by seepage87 View Post
    I think the idea above of only giving accounts to people who post here often is very bad. Not only would it require moderation to see who qualifies, it ruins the best part of wikis.
    It was more like "have been around for two weeks and made 2-3 posts". Comeon, thats thats not a barrier, is it? And its the best spam-protection we can get. You know what Admins can do in the Wikipedia? Give that status to the ones that have "posted here often".

Quote Originally Posted by seepage87 View Post
    I'm not sure why we wouldn't want to port the guidebook to a wiki. As it stands now, any time you read something you have to hunt for the related information. With a wiki, everything related is a blue highlighted word away.
    Because it costs time. If you want to do it, go ahead, but I dont think it is a good idea. I would try to get people to work on the JADE wiki, at least once JADE is out... oh... - ok right, we got enough time
    Last edited by Epythic; 03-13-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Make sure the wiki is spam-protected somehow. Chinese spammers like to erase whole articles and replace them with ad text.

Quote Originally Posted by heavensblade23 View Post
    Make sure the wiki is spam-protected somehow. Chinese spammers like to erase whole articles and replace them with ad text.
    That is what we have been talking about

I still think it is a good idea to use the forums to sort out spammers.