Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Character set

Yeah, I don't think my idea is suitable for ADOM/JADE, but I think it'd look cool if there was a rogue-like with Chinese characters as the monsters. It seems that the same symbols in ADOM are going to be used in JADE with a few colour changes, as can be seen in the video, although it only gives a few small examples.

Quote Originally Posted by F50 View Post
    Molochs aren't biblical creatures. There is a pagan god "Moloch", but that's as close as you get.
    What I meant was the term Moloch comes from the biblical accounts (from the Hebrew "mlk" meaning king).

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Yeah, I don't think my idea is suitable for ADOM/JADE, but I think it'd look cool if there was a rogue-like with Chinese characters as the monsters.
    Please write such a roguelike! It seems really appropriate: you get the whole name of the creature in one symbol, rather than just the first letter or some such; while you preserve the "no set graphic, free imagination" philosophy. In fact Chinese chess pieces work that way I guess...

Would be a nice way to learn a little Chinese too, though your vocabulary may stay a bit lopsided

What about creature names that are normally written using more than one character?

As for JADE, YES to Grey's idea of having exotic characters for exotic monsters, and YES to Artran's original notion of a nice font - I don't dislike ASCII really, but a stylish interface (an easy-on-the-eyes font, some borders and buttons maybe) wouldn't be bad either.

What about ASCII is hard on the eyes?

I wasn't really contrasting ASCII and easy-on-the-eyes. I find ASCII pleasant enough and won't mind at all if JADE stays that way. Just saying that if another, more 'elegant book' and less 'computer terminal' like font were used, and if that one were easy on the eyes (rather than overly complex or crazy), it might look neat. And it could perhaps convince more people to try the game - those that dislike computer terminals.

Ah, I see. Good point.

That said, I like computer terminals.

like this?

You hit the orc and slay him!

or

or

Yeah, something like:

Not claiming these are the best fonts, just picked a serif, sans-serif and a fancier one. I also added a bit of a colour gradient in the background, and the characters are quite wide-spaced... all up for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Yeah, something like:

Not claiming these are the best fonts, just picked a serif, sans-serif and a fancier one. I also added a bit of a colour gradient in the background, and the characters are quite wide-spaced... all up for discussion.
    Next time, could you please make the image horizontally (wide instead of long)?
    Also, I would suggest to use Imageshack and use their thumbnail-feature.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/