Thread: Ultra endings

Default Ultra endings

What artifacts do you guys normally offer to the ratling? So far I'm thinking of giving him the black torc, the phial of Caladriel, the sword of Nonnak, Big Punch and Moonsickle. Which should be the 6th? Ankh / AMW / EG? Any thoughts?

There's also the option to get the Dwarven Rune Axe from the Mystic. That means forfeiting his POSSIBLE SoCR, which in turn means it wouldn't really be advisable to take the black unicorn quest and/or eat Keethrax's corpse? Is the quest / eating the corpse worthwhile for all the corruption it'll cause? I'm planning on getting the Weird Tome and probably doing BugVille for the extra scrolls and nice items anyway. This L22 gnome archer will, I hope, be my first ultra. How much of a worry is corruption on ChAoS?

The crown of science is probably your best choice, but you might want to wear it first to come across boars more easily.

I've only completed two ultra wins and both were lawfuls, but corruption doesn't seem like that big an issue to me. In fact, the second one was a challenge game where I used no corruption removal at all. The most important thing is to have a powerful attack, since this means less time spent on the chaos plane. My ULEs were melee characters with plenty of training in polearms, but I'm sure an archer with slaying missiles can be quite effective as well.

Corruption isn't THAT bad on ChAoS I found in the one time I've been there. If you enter free from corruption, and with an efficient way to kill him, you might only get 1, if not no, corruptions. My personal sacrifice fodder list is Black Torc / Phial of Caladriel / Big Punch / Moon Scythe. For the other two, it depends on the randomly generated artifacts. I would definitely throw Rolf's Axe in there (I got PoGA last time from the mystic, and was unable to do get the scrolls OR the axe ironically) as the scrolls shouldn't be strictly needed, imo (especially if you save the unicorn quest for before the final dive) and if I can't do that and don't have any other random artifacts to use, I'd probably consider the ankh (while nice, it is fairly often you have to switch it out for other ammy's I've found...) and the Elemental Gauntlets (also nice, but its not too hard to find better gauntlets).

Ooh, just remembered the Crown of Science. Definitely something good to throw in, as finding a boar skull isn't too bad even without Dooming or Food Preservation (only took me 4, i think, days on my ultra, and I finished plenty before the 90 day limit)
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

The black tome that you received as precrown reward.

I guess it is not possible to feed him a si?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Right now I feel like hitting someone. Gave amulet to Khelly. Crash. Despite me saving just 5 minutes earlier, there's no available backup. Game lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Right now I feel like hitting someone. Gave amulet to Khelly. Crash. Despite me saving just 5 minutes earlier, there's no available backup. Game lost.
    Ouch. That's happened to me before too

I've since learned from the guide that there's a chance the game will crash at that very point so I always backup before speaking to Khelly nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripplefish View Post
    Ouch. That's happened to me before too

I've since learned from the guide that there's a chance the game will crash at that very point so I always backup before speaking to Khelly nowadays.
    Well yeah, I knew about it as well. The server normally backs up your saves whenever you exit the game. It does it automatically, which is convenient. I saved 5 minutes before I gave Khelly the amulet. The save should've been there, among the backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    What artifacts do you guys normally offer to the ratling? So far I'm thinking of giving him the black torc, the phial of Caladriel, the sword of Nonnak, Big Punch and Moonsickle. Which should be the 6th? Ankh / AMW / EG? Any thoughts?

There's also the option to get the Dwarven Rune Axe from the Mystic. That means forfeiting his POSSIBLE SoCR, which in turn means it wouldn't really be advisable to take the black unicorn quest and/or eat Keethrax's corpse? Is the quest / eating the corpse worthwhile for all the corruption it'll cause? I'm planning on getting the Weird Tome and probably doing BugVille for the extra scrolls and nice items anyway. This L22 gnome archer will, I hope, be my first ultra. How much of a worry is corruption on ChAoS?
    Normally, I prefer Big Punch, Black Torc, the Phial, Moon Sickle, the Ankh/Nonnak and the RoTHK. Nonnak I try to save if I'm playing a caster or semi-caster, because I like the +5 Wi for ball spells. Often I end up with at least one junk artifact that I can sac in place of RoTHK so that I can pursue the quests sooner if I need to.

As far as corruption goes, my feeling is that if you are playing a lawful, it is a non-issue. You can go in with essentially no corruption, so you can get cleansed, dive to D:50, teleport to the portal, and probably get in with 0-1 corruptions. Unless your character is very ill-prepared (or hits something like stiff muscles right away), then you should probably be able to win without any additional corruption removal--and you have 6 SoCR from Khelly (plus a few potions) at minimum to play with if you need them. Neutral/chaotic needs a bit more since you have to go in severely corrupted, so it is nice to have at least a few SoCR to cleanse yourself a bit, just in case.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yeah, if going for a ULE, corruption is not such a big deal. At all.

However, I found corruption to be significantly harder to deal with when going for a UNE, and am yet to complete an UCE. If UCE is your game, rift and bugville will perhaps be necessary.

One thing, no matter which ending you are going for, whilst NC or more for TotRRing, hunting for a few black unicorns can be really a good idea - The PoCC are mighty useful for fine tuning of ones corruption state.

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Yeah, if going for a ULE, corruption is not such a big deal. At all.

However, I found corruption to be significantly harder to deal with when going for a UNE, and am yet to complete an UCE. If UCE is your game, rift and bugville will perhaps be necessary.

One thing, no matter which ending you are going for, whilst NC or more for TotRRing, hunting for a few black unicorns can be really a good idea - The PoCC are mighty useful for fine tuning of ones corruption state.
    ... And it's really nice to have one to chuck at Andy.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.