Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do Rangers do ?

I consider rangers to be half bard half -melee class- because they get a lot of skills, good skill level ups, good skills, not that many points, bad class powers, and pretty good melee-ness.
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

>Rangers get huge benefits to fighting with two weapons, but I'm not convinced those benefits outweigh the loss of the shield.

It does, somehow, but it certainly does not outweigh the loss of attack speed. You hit twice, they attack you twice. Try that against ACW or killer bugs and you realize that one attack at a time is a lot better than two attacks in 150% time.

>Races like necros

Ooo necro race. Something like a lich? I want to play a necro beastfighter...imagine, shadow touch and barehanded killing.

This other game I tried a bit, had about the same races and classes like every rougelike, but then you could be "undead" version of race/class. Like Grey elf skeleton archer, Troll zombie swordmaster, Orc vampire sorcerer. Nice, eh?
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    >Rangers get huge benefits to fighting with two weapons, but I'm not convinced those benefits outweigh the loss of the shield.

It does, somehow, but it certainly does not outweigh the loss of attack speed. You hit twice, they attack you twice. Try that against ACW or killer bugs and you realize that one attack at a time is a lot better than two attacks in 150% time.

>Races like necros

Ooo necro race. Something like a lich? I want to play a necro beastfighter...imagine, shadow touch and barehanded killing.

This other game I tried a bit, had about the same races and classes like every rougelike, but then you could be "undead" version of race/class. Like Grey elf skeleton archer, Troll zombie swordmaster, Orc vampire sorcerer. Nice, eh?

You made me wanna play a sword born necromancer that specializes in unarmed combat =P. Probably drakeling.

It shall be done.

EDIT: nah... i got bored.
    Last edited by pblack; 09-12-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    You made me wanna play a sword born necromancer that specializes in unarmed combat =P. Probably drakeling.

It shall be done.

EDIT: nah... i got bored.
    that would be awesome if you got the covered in thorns corruption possibly darkelf for double training in find weakness

While rangers do have the best 2 weapon fighting in the game, it uses loads of energy for a single pair of attacks.

I feel it only becomes viable at around level 32 when you have several factors working for you.
    1. first class bonus to 2 weapon fighting
    2. should have your end-game weapons already ergo you should have a decent weapon skill (energy consumption, to-hit, damage, etc)
    3. high two weapon combat skill (you get +1 to-hit for every 20 points and -4 energy for *every* point so a maximum of -400)

While dual-wielding sounds cool and for style purposes is unbeatable, it is sadly not that viable in ADOM for a long time.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

If you don't mind just standing and fighting it's not too bad.. only if you're being sneaky with hack and back does the energy cost really hurt. And two spears gives pretty decent DV while increasing your damage. especially if the best weapon you've found are eternium spears.

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    While rangers do have the best 2 weapon fighting in the game, it uses loads of energy for a single pair of attacks.

I feel it only becomes viable at around level 32 when you have several factors working for you.
    1. first class bonus to 2 weapon fighting
    2. should have your end-game weapons already ergo you should have a decent weapon skill (energy consumption, to-hit, damage, etc)
    3. high two weapon combat skill (you get +1 to-hit for every 20 points and -4 energy for *every* point so a maximum of -400)

While dual-wielding sounds cool and for style purposes is unbeatable, it is sadly not that viable in ADOM for a long time.
    You hit the nail on the head in the last sentence: two weaponing is a pretty cool style decision, but ADOM's mechanics make damn sure it's significantly weaker than swinging a single weapon.

I find that Twoweaponing becomes practicable with 80+ in TWC and about 8 levels of weapon skill; for everyone who has the skill at all, the class-derived Ranger boni help with to-hit and to-hit only, and TWC's main weakness is the stepped-up energy cost; so all classes who start with the skill are practically on an equal level here.

I played a character who used two weapons almost exclusively in melee. It happened to be a barbarian - those are usually robust enough to handle the downsides of two-weaponing, but of course their best class powers are all designed for single-weapon combat. At least i wasn't gifted with Vanquisher at crowning ...

Two Weapon Fighting? Needle and Sting, imo. Double style points -
    not only are you wielding two weapons, you're wielding sister
    blades
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer