Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do Rangers do ?

Default What do Rangers do ?

I just started a DE ranger, picked up my starting quests and headed for the UD. Found a patch of morgia that I scummed for a while until I had enough to reach 25-ish To. I got through to the HMV, then went and killed keethrax. After that I went to kill Hotzenplotz. At this point I had 23 To (108hp) and poison resistance from eating spiders. Hotz killed me in 2 hits Now I know he hits fairly hard for a lowbie but I had 32/14 armour and not bad hp for level 9. Anyway my question is how are rangers supposed to be played ? Are they primarily melee fighters or ranged ? I mainly stuck to my sword, occasionally shooting a couple arrows if I had to but it feels like they're really weak in melee. Do they get more powerful at higher levels or am I using the wrong strategy ?

hiya, i dont know how they are in Adom, but a ranger is as far as i know someone who:
    - uses 2x 1 hand combat
    - a bow on range
    - uses bit of stealth?

He is not as good as an archer, and not as good as a fighter, but more a mix i think.

Quote Originally Posted by speciesxx View Post
    hiya, i dont know how they are in Adom, but a ranger is as far as i know someone who:
    - uses 2x 1 hand combat
    - a bow on range
    - uses bit of stealth?

He is not as good as an archer, and not as good as a fighter, but more a mix i think.
    Yeah that's how I've been playing except I've been using 1h weapon and a shield.

No idea how to play rangers except what speciesxx already said but you should never attack Hotzy in melee. Shoot him. Think Coybow.

Usually when I shoot him I have some tune from Once Upon A Time In The West in my head.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    No idea how to play rangers except what speciesxx already said but you should never attack Hotzy in melee. Shoot him. Think Coybow.

Usually when I shoot him I have some tune from Once Upon A Time In The West in my head.
    Haha yeah, it was stupid of me to attempt the melee but I had like 3 arrows and 6 undead slaying arrows which I didn't want to waste on Hotz. Once again it was that cruel mistress over confidence that killed me I guess

Ranger is a melee class that uses missiles, comparable to monk which is a melee class that uses magic. They are no barbarian or beastfighter, though, so you can't afford to be reckless early on (unless you play a troll). You don't need any special strategy, just build up your skills, stats and inventory. Rangers have no real weakness, so are a good safe choice as long as you don't rush things too much.

One important thing to keep in mind, though, is to avoid using two weapons. It just isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripplefish View Post
    I just started a DE ranger, picked up my starting quests and headed for the UD. Found a patch of morgia that I scummed for a while until I had enough to reach 25-ish To. I got through to the HMV, then went and killed keethrax. After that I went to kill Hotzenplotz. At this point I had 23 To (108hp) and poison resistance from eating spiders. Hotz killed me in 2 hits Now I know he hits fairly hard for a lowbie but I had 32/14 armour and not bad hp for level 9. Anyway my question is how are rangers supposed to be played ? Are they primarily melee fighters or ranged ? I mainly stuck to my sword, occasionally shooting a couple arrows if I had to but it feels like they're really weak in melee. Do they get more powerful at higher levels or am I using the wrong strategy ?
    Hotzenplotz is not safe to fight in melee with only 108 health and 32 DV (he almost always punches through armor, so PV doesn't matter). If you want to kill him in melee, you probably want about double both of those numbers--better to just kill him with wands or missiles though.

The biggest advantage to rangers is their skillset--you can play them pretty much however you want. If you want missile, go missile--although you won't be as good as an archer. If you want melee, go melee--although you won't be as good as a barbarian. You get Healing, Herbalism, a bunch of fighting skills, Food Preservation, all with fantastic modifiers. The downside is that your class powers are junk, so any improvements comes from improving your stats and gear. Despite popular mythology, I'm fairly convinced that orcs are actually the best rangers, rather than Dark Elves.

Rangers get huge benefits to fighting with two weapons, but I'm not convinced those benefits outweigh the loss of the shield.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Hotzenplotz is not safe to fight in melee with only 108 health and 32 DV (he almost always punches through armor, so PV doesn't matter). If you want to kill him in melee, you probably want about double both of those numbers--better to just kill him with wands or missiles though.

The biggest advantage to rangers is their skillset--you can play them pretty much however you want. If you want missile, go missile--although you won't be as good as an archer. If you want melee, go melee--although you won't be as good as a barbarian. You get Healing, Herbalism, a bunch of fighting skills, Food Preservation, all with fantastic modifiers. The downside is that your class powers are junk, so any improvements comes from improving your stats and gear. Despite popular mythology, I'm fairly convinced that orcs are actually the best rangers, rather than Dark Elves.

Rangers get huge benefits to fighting with two weapons, but I'm not convinced those benefits outweigh the loss of the shield.
    Indeed.

I'm enjoying the skillset. I've been trying a range of races and like most of my characters I end up using gnomes. I like the extra talent, decent learning score and decent (if you're lucky) toughness.

As for Hotzenplotz I think I'll be a bit for wary of him next time. It's been a long time since I've played a melee class. With a ranged class (wizard/archer etc) I generally kill him at level 10 for Tywatt or asap if I'm trying to get away from chaotic alignment.

Lesson has been learned

> not bad hp for level 9.

Not good enough to melee Hotz.

> how are rangers supposed to be played ?

JellySlayer hit the nail on the head. Rangers give you
    an awesome skillset plus awesome multipliers. Races
    like necros will give you food pres, but it just doesn't
    ever seem to get to 90. Elementalists get healing, but
    does it ever get to 100? Rangers can get everything
    to 100 with some exp. levels and a respectable Le stat.

I think you are pressing your rangers a bit too much.
    Increasing stats is a great plan, but they also need
    some exp. levels before taking on the toughies.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Rangers can kick ass at both melee and ranged. Combine with dark elf for maximum win - and I've never read a single Drizzt book; I'm basing this on the skillset
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.