Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon related ideas for JADE

Default Weapon related ideas for JADE

A lot can be found scattered around about weapons. Just thought i'd create a topic for all weapon-related discussions.

For instance, i'd REALLY like to see the presence of more whips in jade. If I get lucky on adom and find one or two whips at the beginning of my game I always play a whip master (since i tend to play high Dx chars anyway i like do double weild them too). Its a shame that there are no artifact whips and that there's only one type of whip that isn't special-named (whip of the snake or slaughtering). and the standard whip reeealy sucks. Unless you are a whip lover like me (well...that didn't come out right... LOL) that is willing to remain in low level dungeons to increase whip proficiency for a while, there's really no motivation to use a whip in adom. that and the fact that whips are incredibly rare....even the crappy ones (and in 5 years of playing adom i think i only found a whip of slaughtering once....never one of the snake...had to wish for it).
    I think that the only character that can actually expect to find a whip or two during the game is a treasure hunter bard, and they suck in pure melee, so where's the fun?

Anyway...I think I read the same request once in the forum but it doesn't hurt to post my own.

The topic is open for everyone to suggest anything weapon related for JADE.

Default Thinking ...

Though this might not be practical, it would be interesting if a handful of melee weopons could execute 'special' attacks from two spaces away (with an affixed negative like higher energy cost). I am thinking particularly of long spears, lances and the like, perhaps after a certain level of weopon skill was reached.

I only mention this cause I watched the history channel sometime and this guy was demonstrating how a barbarian used a spear in melee combat. He could actually change his hand position on the spear to grip it towards the back end and swing it out so the whole 6-7 foot length was in front of him swinging out. It was quite impressive.

I'm also thinking of some turn-based strategies where spears were the weapon that could affect two squares instead of one.

Just a thought ...

I'd prefer to not make whips all that important. How do you plan to whip a Moloch? or a heavy plate wearing orc? Good luck getting that leather through Eternium Plate Mail...

I could see slavers using whips though. Thats about it.

EDIT---

Shaolin monks and ninjas used weapons SIMILAR to whips, they would have spikes, or hooks, or blades on the ends of ropes or chains. Similar is where it stops though, as they behaved much differently than whips.
    Deadliest Warrior on spike TV is really cool.
    Last edited by Sradac; 06-15-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    Good luck getting that leather through Eternium Plate Mail...
    Based on an in-game reference, Eternium is supposedly the same thing as titanium in the real world. It adds up too, because both weigh roughly half as much as Iron and both are very strong. If someone had a suit of platemail made of titanium, I would say good luck getting through that with any medieval age weapon, even if the weapon made from titanium as well.

Thomas said that damage types would be added in JADE. If he goes with the traditional three types, this would be blunt, pierce and cut damages. Whips would probably be cut damage, which isn't very effective against heavily armored foes anyway. The main advantage of the whip is it's speed; successive whip strikes can be done faster then successive sword strikes. This could make it very useful against lightly armored foes. Also, whips can always be enchanted, just like any other weapon. Phase Whips anyone?

Anyway, getting back to the main topic. In JADE, I would like to see:
    -More Whips(I agree with the OP here)
    -More Polearms
    -More Throwing Weapons
    -More Differences Between Weapons

What I mean by the above, is right now there is no real difference between using a bow and a crossbow. There is no real difference between using a spear and a halberd. Yet these weapons function very differently in real. I would like it if each weapon type had it's own pros and cons, aside from different damage, accuracy and DV ratings.

Um, sorry? Didn't understand about pros and cons. Exactly, what else besides damage type and statistics (accuracy, damage, energy cost) there could be?

BTW, idea about special moves for weapons looks nice. For example, after getting 4th rank on this weapon class (Skilled or whatever, I don't remember) you can use such move for high energy cost (or only once in a while), and at 8th energy cost lowers, and so on. Special moves could include disarming, confusing... And yes, they should be different for, say, spear and halberg.
    ...toward the ChAoS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
    Um, sorry? Didn't understand about pros and cons. Exactly, what else besides damage type and statistics (accuracy, damage, energy cost) there could be?

BTW, idea about special moves for weapons looks nice. For example, after getting 4th rank on this weapon class (Skilled or whatever, I don't remember) you can use such move for high energy cost (or only once in a while), and at 8th energy cost lowers, and so on. Special moves could include disarming, confusing... And yes, they should be different for, say, spear and halberg.
    Several ideas for the pros and cons:

1) Different weapons have different energy costs. You could possibly attack three or four times with a dagger for every strike with a heavy weapon, such as a greatsword. This could even become somewhat abstract, where crossbows fire nearly instantly but take a long time to reload, while bows fire slower but don't need the reload time, so bows are faster overall.

2) Different benefits from the weapon's DV. Some weapons, such as spears or other polearms, are extremely easy to counter with, especially compared to something like an axe. There could be a chance to counter each attack blocked by the weapon's DV rating. The counterattack would be weaker then a normal attack, but consume barely any energy points.

3) Damage Types, such as cut/piece/blunt. But TB already said he plans on adding this in, so...

Maybe more types of weapons.

Right now all two handed swords behave the same and are part of the same "class" in adom

But, Im pretty sure wielding a Katana or even the Dai-Katana is much different from a Claymore. All 3 blades behave very differently, are balanced differently, and require a different technique to wield properly.

Same with "Maces & Flails"

The Flail/Morningstar is very dangerous! It takes a LOT of training to not hit yourself with it. Why would bashing in heads with an iron mace make me better at using a steel morningstar, big scary ball with spikes on a chain. Ehhh it'll never be perfect though, so...

I say just make JADE fun, and very immersive. And dont make the world suck, I love exploring game worlds. Its always fun when you can actually go off the path and find something really interesting that has absolutely nothing to do with the main story, and possibly even get a side quest.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

It has already been stated here that more throwing weapons would be nice, and i agree. More throwing knives especially! It sucks that normal daggers don't go automatically to the missile slot and finding more than 3 or 4 throwing knives during a normal game is a lucky break even for assassins that tend to find more daggers and such.

To be fair, that could reasonably be improved with just a slight user interface change - being able to designate a stack of non-standard objects as a missile stack would massively improve thrown weapons. You could even limit the physical size/weight of a potential equipped designated missile stack if you felt it would be unbalancing to allow a stack of 16 small shields or battle axes compared to a stack of 16 knives (I am sure some people would say that being able to wield to a pole arm, a tower crystal shield and a missile stack of 16 small shields effectively, whist still retaining the ability to read a book, drink a potion, juggle 5 wands in a reverse cascade, is somehow unrealistic). I love throwing weapons, but often end up not using the last one in my stack whilst playing ADOM, just to avoid having to re-equip the stack again later, which is obviously kinda silly.

Extreme missile stacking could always be [physical bulk of stack, Dex and Str] modified if you really don't want to see hurthlings dual wielding shields which are theoretically taller than they are, whilst at the same time using 12 battle axes in the missile slot.

suggestions

having a new spelunker class (indiana jones) which has a boost to whips similar to archers with missles?

maces and possibly morningstars, i dont recall, should fall into the clubs and hammers category,

whilst flails fall into the whips category