Thread: Stairs? What stairs?

Default Stairs? What stairs?

Hi, guys,
    Playing most recent version (3.3x). Made it to level 28 of CoC. I can't find the stairs for next level. Tried everything I could think of. Used my djinni ring to wish for magic maps, which revealed nothing new. Used wands of show monster, gold, items to look for hidden rooms. Nada. Used wands of digging without help. Even got infected with transportitis. I'm a bit dizzy after hours, but have yet to pop into hidden areas with stairs leading down. Of course, I've checked under every item, scrubbed corridors, and kicked most walls up and down. So I turn to experts to assist me. Any clues?

Try using w< to walk to the upstairs, you might notice something odd. :-)

Thanks, Grond. Two messages with w>.
    One says: "You do not know where to go." Another: "you do not see any stairs leading downwards."

What about w<?

w< does take me to up stairs.
    I thought coc has like 50 levels.

There should be two up staircases on the level. So I was expecting you to get a prompt for which one. Not getting such a prompt would indicate either that you haven't yet found the second set, or that they are blocked for whatever reason (river or shifting level would be the possibilities I can think of). In ASCII mode you can try :l or Alt+l to hide items and monsters - if you can't see a second set of stairs then you definitely have more exploring to do. At this point I would just try digging into whatever areas of the map have the most blank space.

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."