Thread: Best way to handle greater molochs?

Default Best way to handle greater molochs?

Found a tension room in Dwarven Halls. Hoping to find some way to cheese the rooms and was wondering if there was an exploitable weakness for big xp.

ATM I've got an orcish barbarian w a Vanquisher, 51 DV 47 PV, no magic but plenty of wands.

Thanks!

I've you've got access to rune-covered trident or Devilbane, throwing those would be the easiest/safest way.

With melee you could lure them up or down stairs one at a time and then take advantage of their diagonal movement to kite them without needing to continually back up.
    Code:
    .&.
    @.&
    .@.

Switch between the two positions marked "@"
    and the moloch will switch between the two positions marked "&"

Potion of boost speed plus berserk and vanquisher will work, but one hit and you may get wrecked.

You don't need a potion of boost speed. As a barbarian you get reduced energy cost for walking, and weapon skill reduces energy cost of attacking, too. And greater molochs are very slow.

So the diagonal method explained by Grond is safe, as long as you carefully lure them up the stairs one by one and then hack & back:

- hit moloch one time
    - move one diagonal step away
    - wait for moloch to move diagonally
    - repeat

Oh and make sure you are not satiated or burdened.

The only danger is that another monster could walk in and block your path. If you want to be completely safe, you could tame the level where you are luring the molochs to. (Lock a breeder into a large room and wait for them to multiply; check with monster detection that the level is tamed).
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 05-02-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

although you don’t need a potion of speed, it’s a significant quality of life improvement and it allows you to make many more errors without dying instantly. Plus, this is and orc barbarian, so my assumption is that he’s lvl 14-15 just getting into DH so I’m also assuming there’s no 700 energy cost because that’s at lvl 18.

Check out how many turns can you take until they move and assuming similar energy cost - hit, run, let them move, hit, run, let them move... at any given character speed, molochs move once every fixed amount of turns. Just do the math and voila.
    Another way is to line them up in a corridor and blast them with a supercharged wand of magic missile. They shrug bolts but not all of them, eventually they will die.
    Demon slayers are good against them, as are humanoid slayers, so the guaranteed returning weapons are a viable choice, but they are trick as every now and then they won't return and you have to recover them.
    Molochs can and will pick up artifact weapons and wield them against you.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

While admitting that you've already gotten advice from players who are far more successful and knowledgeable than me, I might suggest planning to apply their recommendations *later*. I dunno what your HP is at, but if you get some more levels [esp. clear the greater vault by IQD], then you'll (a) have more weapon marks and (b) maaaybe have enough HP to not be squished by a single hit. Greater molochs are so much XP that they'll still be a huge boon to you later in the game, when it's a less-massive risk-of-death.