Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Weekly Challenge

Week Five Standings
    Code:
    1. Mnemozin ................... 10 pts
    2. Toby .......................  7 pts

18 hours left to submit an flg for week four. The chaos plane segment did not disappoint.

Week Five

Character:
    Mist Elf Fighter

Scoring:
    Milestones:
    Code:
    1 pt  - generate an elemental orb
    1 pt  - generate two elemental orbs
    1 pt  - generate four elemental orbs
    2 pts - win the game
    Challenges:
    Code:
    3 pts - use only guaranteed items
    1 pt  - don't drink from pools
    1 pt  - don't use your crowning gift
    1 pt  - complete the Kill Yergius quest
    As it's a bit difficult to define "guaranteed items", here's are some clarifications of what it means for the purposes of this challenge:

Submissions:
    Include a final log file as well as the score you are claiming. You can either post this here, or tag me in a message on the roguelikes discord. Submissions close after June 10th (as determined by UTC).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Grond; 06-11-2019 at 03:37 AM.

I just want to chime in and say that I love this idea. Basically everything about it! There's no way I can participate right now. I've still only won with wizard/archer, my fastest win was 20 hours, I play maybe 20 hours per month....there's no way. But I definitely might post like "hey I got the win from the weekly contest 6 month ago YAVP" some time. These look like really enjoyable, clever, challenging-but-not-impossible variants of the game. Really good thinking!

Thanks! Unfortunately, it seems like almost no one has the time for or interest in these challenges. I've cast a slightly wider net this week, so hopefully there will be some entries, but I'm considering either extending the time window for challenges or having a separate ranking for late submissions.

Week Six Standings
    Code:
    1. Mnemozin ................... 10 pts

Week Six

Character:
    Ratling Assassin

Scoring:
    Milestones:
    Code:
    1 pt - generate an elemental orb
    1 pt - generate two elemental orbs
    1 pt - generate four elemental orbs
    1 pt - win the game
    Challenges:
    Code:
    3 pts - prior to generating orb of fire, only visit goblin camp, gremlin cave, ice queen domain, minotaur maze, tomb of the high kings, rift, library, and tower of eternal flames
    1 pt  - kill the ice queen
    1 pt  - kill the great water dragon
    1 pt  - kill Rolf
    For the first challenge, random wilderness encounters are allowed, but you must leave them as soon as possible.

Submissions:
    Include a final log file as well as the score you are claiming. You can either post this here, or tag me in a message on the roguelikes discord. Submissions close after June 17th (as determined by UTC).
    Last edited by Grond; 06-18-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Week Seven Standings
    Code:

Rule Changes

Late Submissions
    I will start accepting late submissions, although with a couple of caveats. Late entries must score the maximum possible number of points, and will be ranked separately from the on-time runs, in the order that they are submitted.

Piety Scumming
    Both methods of excessive piety scumming (overflow and alignment swapping) are not allowed for week 7 and onward. I simply don't want to design challenges around this.

Week Seven

Character:
    Gnome Ranger

Scoring:
    Milestones:
    Code:
    1 pt - win the game
    Challenges:
    Code:
    1 pt  - begin the game by spending at least 1 year and 240 days using Survival
    3 pts - only damage or kill monsters with melee attacks made with dual-wielded improvised weapons
    1 pt  - don't use any spells, wands, staves, missile attacks, or companions
    1 pt  - kill cat lord
    Improvised weapons are items not belonging to any weapon class. Note that this includes missile weapon classes, as you can get skill-based energy cost reductions when wielding bows, rocks, etc. Torches are also disallowed, despite not being weapons, as they benefit from the clubs weapon group. Incidental damage from stuff such as accidental trap activations, acid blood, and the D:48 fire orb activation are allowed.

A save file is attached for those who find the Survival portion overly tedious.

Submissions:
    Include a final log file as well as the score you are claiming. You can either post this here, or tag me in a message on the roguelikes discord. Submissions close after June 24th (as determined by UTC).
    Last edited by Grond; 06-25-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Does the challenge score only apply on a win?
    Are any difficulty ok or only 100%+ ?
    With survival do you mean spending 1 year and 240 days in overland wilderness (and are random encouters ok?) or do you mean not eating any food/corpses other than using survival for satiation during that time?

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Does the challenge score only apply on a win?
    No. As long as you complete a task, or abide by a condition for the duration of the run, you score the associated challenge points.

Are any difficulty ok or only 100%+ ?
    Only 100% difficulty, unless the challenge conditions specify otherwise.

With survival do you mean spending 1 year and 240 days in overland wilderness (and are random encouters ok?) or do you mean not eating any food/corpses other than using survival for satiation during that time?
    I mean using survival on the first tile until that much time has passed.

Week Eight Standings
    Code:

Week 8

Character:
    Human Chaos Knight

Scoring:
    Milestones:
    Code:
    1 pt  - generate an elemental orb
    2 pts - generate two elemental orbs
    1 pt  - generate four elemental orbs
    1 pt  - win the game
    Challenges:
    Code:
    2 pts - visit the minimum possible number of locations
    2 pts - eat all 5 orb guardian corpses
    1 pt  - kill Fistanarius
    The minimum possible number of locations is 62 if you go through the animated forest (D 1-50, TF 1-4, UL 1-6, MT, wilderness), and 63 if you go through dwarven halls. You are allowed one additional location if you accidentally visit the angel area, but you must leave it immediately.

Submissions:
    Include a final log file as well as the score you are claiming. You can either post this here, or tag me in a message on the roguelikes discord. Submissions close after July 1st (as determined by UTC).
    Last edited by Grond; 07-03-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Week 9 Standings
    Code:
    1. marklari ................... 10 pts
    2. blunk ......................  4 pts

Week 9

Character:
    Dark Elf Barbarian

Scoring:
    Milestones:
    Code:
    1 pt - win the game
    Challenges
    Code:
    2 pts - always be in true berserk
    2 pts - only damage monsters with melee attacks
    2 pts - kill the supreme balor
    For the purposes of this challenge true berserk means fighting in berserk tactics while not wearing a helmet, body armor (except for armors of rage), cloak, girdle, gauntlets, or boots. This is to avoid any weird issues with disarming and item destruction, as you are required to wield a weapon to get the true berserk bonus to-hit/damage.

Submissions:
    Include a final log file as well as the score you are claiming. You can either post this here, or tag me in a message on the roguelikes discord. Submissions close after July 8th (as determined by UTC).
    Last edited by Grond; 07-09-2019 at 01:39 AM.

Week 10 Standings
    Code:
    1. blunk ......................  4 pts

Week 10

Character
    High Elf Necromancer

Scoring:
    Milestones:
    Code:
    1 pt - win the game
    Challenges:
    Code:
    2 pts - only damage or kill monsters with spells until you reach level 25
    2 pts - after reaching level 25 only damage or kill monsters with unarmed melee attacks
    1 pt  - kill an eternal guardian
    1 pt  - successfully cast Wish
    Submissions:
    Include a final log file as well as the score you are claiming. You can either post this here, or tag me in a message on the roguelikes discord. Submissions close after July 15th (as determined by UTC).
    Last edited by Grond; 07-16-2019 at 01:10 AM.