Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precrowning and alignment changes

Angering your current god improves your piety with the other gods. With this technique you pray until your piety with the other gods is maxed out, and then change alignment. No overflow is involved. And yes, you can do this in the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Angering your current god improves your piety with the other gods. With this technique you pray until your piety with the other gods is maxed out, and then change alignment. No overflow is involved. And yes, you can do this in the current version.
    Is there any particular reason to do it in HMV? From the sound of it it looks like it can be done safely in wilderness, in the corner of the map, surrounding yourself with locked doors. Would it be possible this way?

Wand of door creation only works on floor and tunnel spaces. You could do something similar using three waiting companions, although you would have to be neutral or lawful, so that the summons don't have a breath attack.

I successfully did this in the Putrid cave, as I wasn't really interested in going back there, but HMV can have some minor or major later-game value. Of course, then I killed the character by being impatient...but, should work on any cave, but that might require more charges of door creation.

Quote Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
    What fitz said.

Basically the quick and dirty is you go to high mountain, kill the dwarf and some others to drop your alignment to chaotic then go to the hidden stairs that lead outside and block them. You can either make doors that are locked or hire npcs from the new village and have them wait. You need to make sure you block enough of the tiles that a demon can't see you and shoot fire at you. They won't open locked doors and won't attack waiting, idle, npcs. Once you have those few tiles blocked off you can pray as chaotic over and over and over again and it raises piety with the other 2 gods to max. There are a few stages you have to worry about. One is the auto destruction/cursing of your equipment. Make sure you drop it all on the ground before hand. Another is the damage bolt they hit you with. Make sure you can survive it. I think it does somewhere around 80ish damage. Once you get to the summoning phase you just hold down the button for a minute or so and the entire map gets flooded with summoned greater demons that can't see or reach you. Then just go out the stairs to the world and never go back to high mountain. Go to your nearest altar to sac your alignment back up then pray.
    Well, the damage bolt that hit me dealt more than 80 damage, bringing me to -8 from 78. Anyone knows what is the maximum damage this bolt deals?

Edit: AdomGb says 67-79, which is not true, unfortunately.

Does the cost of praying repeatedly increase independently for each god, or is there a counter across all gods?

I mean, if you have done this, does it mean you lose massive amounts of piety if you pray to your L or N god later for the same favor?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Yes, this makes unheard prayers extremely expensive regardless of your alignment. There's a point in the speedrun where I try to have a cursed item equipped just to avoid an unintended unheard prayer.

Of course, if you do even more unheard prayers you can get the prayer cost itself to overflow. Then any unheard prayer maxes out your piety.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Yes, this makes unheard prayers extremely expensive regardless of your alignment. There's a point in the speedrun where I try to have a cursed item equipped just to avoid an unintended unheard prayer.

Of course, if you do even more unheard prayers you can get the prayer cost itself to overflow. Then any unheard prayer maxes out your piety.
    what happens after it overflows? does it max out your piety every time, or after a while it gets back to negative?

After a while the prayer goes back to costing piety, but once you're crowned the overflow works from around prayer #2100 to prayer #2900, so it's not really a concern in practice.
    Last edited by Grond; 05-29-2019 at 07:37 PM.