Thread: tips for re-finding Filk, because I'm an idiot [spoily]

Default tips for re-finding Filk, because I'm an idiot [spoily]

Wellllll I mis-remembered that there is a special level message! So when I got to the level of what I thought was my first kill and got no message, I said "hm I wonder if this is a character who had a different first kill" and kept descending. Oops!

So:
    Guidebook indicates that sometimes Filk can be found in the wilderness. Any tips on making that happen? Does cursed/doomed help [as it does for maximizing other encounters]?

This character is having trouble in funny spots. Was aiming for scroll of omnipotence; accidentally killed a dwarf by one-shotting it while walking. Switched to aiming for Ultra ending, haven't yet seen a boar skull [at level 45 with all orbs].
    After my mess-up, I continued descending to kill MaLaKaI for funsies. But I'm crowned N=, so I don't THINK there's any way for me to use that to enter the chaos plane.

I'm currently on ID66. Question is whether to (a) ascend and use some tricks to maximize likelihood of re-finding Filk, or (b) descend to get the Very Deep Dive achievement for ID 100, basically treating this character as a loss as far as Ultra endings go.

I did learn Wish from a tome (and have one djinni ring), so wishing options are available.

You don't really need to use any special tricks to run into him. Any peaceful monster you leave behind in ID will eventually ask to accompany you as you travel the wilderness. Since you've descended quite far you might also have several white unicorns following you around, but it shouldn't take an excessive amount of time to encounter Filk.

Thank you for your speedy and clear answer. Yes, I ran into him not too many squares of wilderness away. I'm deliberately cursed/doomed from pools to seek boars; didn't see one on the way to the Hut or to the SIL, easily acid-balled the Emperor. So now I have the Trident, but no boar skull and haven't seen a scroll of danger all game. I may need to make relatively unfulfilling use of my RoDS and one book-cast of wish....

Quote Originally Posted by fitzpa88 View Post
    I may need to make relatively unfulfilling use of my RoDS and one book-cast of wish....
    Wishing for the scroll of danger sounds like a good idea, sometimes they just don't drop.

But you are talking about two wishes.. do you mean you are also considering to spend a wish on a giant boar skull? Because then I have to warn you: if memory serves, those can't be wished for. They are easy enough to generate with some patience, in any case.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.