Thread: Banshee business

Hybrid View

Default Banshee business

So I got this really nice gnome monk, wielding Vanquisher (totally awesome precrowning gift). Already in possession of the Fire orb, looking to dive deeper in the CoC. I've reached the Banshee level, there's just one little problem: the previous level didn't contain the usual beehive. No beeswax, no earplugs. I never pick up potions of deafness, as I've never needed them before. I've also sold my staff of the thunderclap. Is there any other way to get myself deaf, or to safely deal with the banshee? I thought about teleporting on top of the stairs and immediately descending, but that seems awfully risky. Any suggestions?

If your character is male you can wield a wedding ring to make yourself immune to the scream. With the teleport plan you could wear an amulet of protection from undead as insurance against instant death (although you still take a massive amount of damage). But safest would just be to explore the higher levels of the CoC more thoroughly looking for the guaranteed beehive - it's not always on the level right before banshee.
    Last edited by Grond; 05-19-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    If your character is male you can wield a wedding ring to make yourself immune to the scream. With the teleport plan you could wear an amulet of protection from undead as insurance against instant death (although you still take a massive amount of damage). But safest would just be to explore the higher levels of the CoC more thoroughly looking for the guaranteed beehive - it's not always on the level right before banshee.
    So I looked all over the place and didn't find the beehive. Neither did I get the 'buzzing sounds' message. I was indeed male, in possession of two wedding rings. I put them both on for good measure. Banshee still screamed at me, so that's the end of that gnome monk. Guess I didn't 'wield' the ring correctly? The Adom Wiki isn't very clear about how exactly to do this. Maybe the banshee saw I had two wedding rings, concluded that I was already married and got jealous? Either way, no need to scream at me like that, yeesh... Ohwell. Guess I'll start hoarding potions of deafness from now on.

Wield, as in have it equipped as a weapon. Rather than wearing it in a ring slot.

Quote Originally Posted by mjz15 View Post
    So I looked all over the place and didn't find the beehive. Neither did I get the 'buzzing sounds' message.
    IIRC, guaranteed one can happen in place like animated forest. You can try outrange the scream (don't recall exactly the range -- 5 tiles maybe?)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    IIRC, guaranteed one can happen in place like animated forest. You can try outrange the scream (don't recall exactly the range -- 5 tiles maybe?)
    Hmm, I never visited the animated forest, just took the DH shortcut. Clearing a beehive in the AF sounds like a pain in the beehive. I mean, a pain in the behind. I also considered outranging the scream but wasn't sure it would work. I walked around in the room with the banshee for a fair amount of time too, she was just sitting there doing nothing, so I assumed the wedding ring worked. She screamed only after I attacked a monster in the same room. Must have been my stealth skill being 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    4 tiles. She can be safely dispatched with a bow or crossbow shooting undead slayers, she's not particularly fast.

If you're feeling lucky and have a good undead slaying melee weapon, she can be sneaked upon and executed with one blow. Vanquisher could probably do that on berserk.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    4 tiles. She can be safely dispatched with a bow or crossbow shooting undead slayers, she's not particularly fast.
    Can't she walk and scream on the same turn?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)