Thread: Pick pockets: worth the hassle?

Default Pick pockets: worth the hassle?

I'm playing a gnome fighter, so I got the Pick Pockets skill. I never really bothered with pickpocketing before but some players really seem to enjoy it so I'm giving it a shot. However I'm finding it quite tedious and time consuming. My character is at level 15. My pickpockets skill is at 47 and improving gives me 1d5 points at the moment and I'm still failing a lot. I often have to make about 10 attempts or more per monster for it to be successful (or to find out the monster doesn't own anything valuable). The nicest thing I've stolen so far is bracers of toughness. I'm spending a lot of time trying to improve the skill but it goes really slowly and I'm wondering: how good exactly is this skill? How big are the benefits with this skill at 100, how big are the chances of stealing something reeeeeally nice, and is it worth the time and hassle for an impatient player such as myself?

Before the potion free-for-all just outside the CoC, I would say steady use of pp would greatly help in finding potions early on. But... it’s mostly not worth it now. I’ve had characters find some really good stuff at low levels like elven chain mail, or back 20 years ago I got whirlwind. But the amount of time spent pick pocketing could be put to better use doing things like exploring different dungeons.
    However, if you like pissing off monsters and enjoy playing lotteries, then continue to pick pocket, it gets kinda addictive when you get something good!

Interesting development: Celestrix just dropped as random loot. Does being doomed have any influence on the pickpocket skill? Oh and by the way: how big is the chance of being eaten by a grue when wandering into dark rooms while doomed?

Pickpockets is not worth the hassle. It has been nerfed because some players didnīt like it, and now the skill is just too much work for too little gain. As you found out.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I use it as a way for garantueed thieves guild membership early enough to get detect traps and level it up a bit.
    But its old habits, less work to get invis potion in borderland shop go back and steal something in thief town.

I used to love using it but it cramps my style a bit now. But I'm a lot less patient with ADOM than I used to be.