Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: acid ball swindle

Default acid ball swindle

I had it freshly learned from a book and got 2 castings out of it!? Has it been nerfed or something? I'm playing a fighter so perhaps that doesn't help...

Playing a fighter, you actually got super lucky the book didn’t self destruct, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Playing a fighter, you actually got super lucky the book didn’t self destruct, or worse.
    I use book starsign which I think helps quite a bit. That and 100 literacy, above 20 learning.

Trust me, book star sign isn’t going to turn your fighter into a caster. The sign is the most helpful to semi-casters such as bards, healers, and paladins. The factors that go into book learning are: class, race(eg non trolls) learning score, star sign, literacy, concentration, spell difficulty, and your level.

But do those factors go into the # of castings? I was able to get plenty of atlas castings so it seems like acid ball is singled out. Wonder if it was a stealth nerf applied some versions ago...

Strength of atlas is considered only slightly harder to learn than light and darkness. Acid ball is considered very hard to learn in comparison. And yes, the harder the spell is to learn, the lower number of castings you get. However, if you have good pp regen, then book casting it is a great way to train mana!

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Strength of atlas is considered only slightly harder to learn than light and darkness. Acid ball is considered very hard to learn in comparison. And yes, the harder the spell is to learn, the lower number of castings you get. However, if you have good pp regen, then book casting it is a great way to train mana!
    But is 2 castings normal? I learned the spell twice without repeats.

Yes. It’s a very difficult spell to learn. Try and see what happens if you get create item spellbook! That’s more difficult to learn. If you want to increase knowledge learned from a book, increase learning stat, get 100 concentration, and increase your level. Those are the only things you can do at this point. Like I said, I’m amazed the spellbook didn’t drain you or blow up on you.

I did have 100 concentration ( thanks to a wish). How many castings can a wizard expect? 2 is too low imo, might do an rfe.

Class is all-important. A wizard could expect 200-400 castings per read from that book. Oh yeah! Forgot to mention, the books status matters too, it’s mi h easier to learn from a blessed book.