Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: acid ball swindle

You seem to be implying that the difficulty of learning the book also impacts the # of castings. Still, reducing it from 200 to 2 seems a bit extreme.

Not really extreme. A fighter will never be a caster. Not even a lucky wish can change that. Giving a fighter the same casting potential of a wizard would make the class distinctions irrelevant. A wizard gives up their potential melee/missile skill ranks for ultimate power. A fighter gives up casting potential. If you want a hybrid, play a priest or Druid. If you want a semi caster, play a healer,bard, or Paladin.

I think the fact that I went with book starsign and put extra points into learning stat at start of the game should permit semi-casting. A fighter will never be a caster? I once had a mist elf duelist casting death ray on the d50 monsters! So it is possible with a warrior class.
    Last edited by auricbond; 07-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Just because you can cast it doesn’t mean you can cast it well. I’ve done the same thing with many characters. You still won’t improve your spell effectiveness like a caster would. Spells hit harder and more often the higher your effectiveness is, and a non-caster needs to cast the spell many more times than a wizard would in order to cast it at a higher effectiveness. Combine that with finding less books, and learning less from the books and it starts to look like a bad idea to make your fighter a caster class. Besides, when you are high enough level to cast death ray as a duelist you can already destroy every monster in the game easily. Emperor lich? Use anti magic staff-kill in 2 hits. Moloch? Attack 3 times, retreat, repeat. Casting death ray at that point would be silly at best, because everything will dodge it and you have so many other ways to kill things.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Just because you can cast it doesn’t mean you can cast it well. I’ve done the same thing with many characters. You still won’t improve your spell effectiveness like a caster would. Spells hit harder and more often the higher your effectiveness is, and a non-caster needs to cast the spell many more times than a wizard would in order to cast it at a higher effectiveness. Combine that with finding less books, and learning less from the books and it starts to look like a bad idea to make your fighter a caster class. Besides, when you are high enough level to cast death ray as a duelist you can already destroy every monster in the game easily. Emperor lich? Use anti magic staff-kill in 2 hits. Moloch? Attack 3 times, retreat, repeat. Casting death ray at that point would be silly at best, because everything will dodge it and you have so many other ways to kill things.

Still think maybe 10 castings would be more reasonable. I was saving the ball for a big fight like the minotaur emperor, only to go invisible and get close up to them and discover that I'd ran out of the spell after only 2 castings! Ended up learning it again and getting only 2 more castings, enough to take out a single mage (they followed me so I couldn't envelop them all anymore). I wouldn't be a full time or even part time caster but situational use only...

Blessing the book, using boost learning potions and boost learning staves plus crown of science would get your number much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Blessing the book, using boost learning potions and boost learning staves plus crown of science would get your number much higher.
    My learning score was pretty high, over 30 I think, and the book was blessed.

The book starsign doesn't make you a wizard.. a fighter is meant to be a challenge class who can only cast some utility spells, and acid ball is the best spell in the game (except wish).

As a fighter with only 30 learning, you should have been happy to receive any castings at all. Try this with a mindcrafter..
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Lol! Wouldn’t it be a low chance to learn acid ball with 99 Le for a mindcrafter?

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    My learning score was pretty high, over 30 I think, and the book was blessed.
    As grobblewobble said, and I’m going to emphasize this as well, 30 Le is low for what you are trying to do. The evidence to support my assumption here is that you get 2 castings per reading. That’s the games way of telling you that you’re not prepared enough. All you can do is increase your level or your learning.