Thread: ADOM Deluxe In ASCII

Question ADOM Deluxe In ASCII

Are there any plans to extend the ADOM Deluxe features into the ASCII only version of ADOM (Not the NotEye ASCII, but the 2MB ASCII download).

I'm a visually impaired player who has always loved ADOM. I recently decided to buy ADOM Deluxe to support the game, only to find that You can only get the NotEye version through GOG. This version in no way functions well with my screen reader, whereas the ASCII console application is at least still playable. I hate missing out on the deluxe features though, such as being able to select the character's star sign, rather than generate, quit, repeat until I find the star sign I like.

Please, please consider implementing at least these character generation options into a deluxe version of the ASCII only application, possibly as a bundled part of the game package download through the various distribution mediums. As

an aside, I miss how you could click on tiles in the old ADOM Windows wrapper to move to that tile. I'm hoping this can be implemented someday.

You can use Ctrl-M to change NotEyes features if you still need it.

Quote Originally Posted by GGhana View Post
    You can use Ctrl-M to change NotEyes features if you still need it.
    Configuring NotEye to display ASCII isn't going to do you much good if you're blind. OP's problem is that their screen reader doesn't work with NotEye ASCII.

I have tried using zeno's .bat file to do this, and got it working enough to play, but it crashed on level-up (using Windows Terminal -- I did not try it in cmd shell). Perhaps it works in cmd shell or PowerShell, or perhaps zeno would be willing to look into it and update it if you got in touch with them?
    Last edited by SirTheta; 01-07-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Haven't checked this thread for years since I assumed it wouldn't gain much traction, and I was right. Thanks to the posters that tried to help, but @Grond is correct in that screen readers do not in any way, shape, or form work with NotEYE. You can preset it to ASCII, but because NotEYE is still just a graphical representation of ASCII that I think is being done through a graphics library (SDL? Pardon my ignorance on the terminology), screen readers just can't read it.
    I really was hoping to convince Thomas to find it in his consideration to implement my request.

I can go on just playing the free edition (and I do have to), but I hate all the advertising prompts... especially when I already paid for the game on GOG.

I'm hopeful that maybe someday Thomas will consider doing this accessibility tweak to include a deluxe features ASCII only executible, but I'm sadly also not holding my breath for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xvordan View Post
    I really was hoping to convince Thomas to find it in his consideration to implement my request.
    I'm hopeful that maybe someday Thomas will consider doing this accessibility tweak...
    Erm, have you ever raised this request in the appropriate part of the forum, "ADOM Issue Management", where all the requests and bug reports are collected, voted/commented on? Just sayin'
    gremlin - karmic lizard, dark orc, acid vortex, staring eye - dragon turtle, fairy dragon, ogre lord, minotaur emperor - pit viper, orc butcher - greater mimic, dark elven wizard, carrion crawler, dwarven child - imp - ochre jelly, dark elven archer, king cobra, goodwife - kobold shaman, magebane eye, floating eye, quickling king - giant centipede, hill orc sergeant, mimic hivemind, greater claw bug, brown bear, large gnoll - giant bee queen, giant ant warrior, shadow centipede, kobold