Thread: Multiple turns when I am attemping to make 1 move?

Default Multiple turns when I am attemping to make 1 move?

I've been playing ADOM for many years. I've been playing the new NotEye ADOM for a few years and decided to step up and pay for the game on Steam. However, I am experiencing something I've never experienced in ADOM and do not know how to fully articulate it. The movement is strange. I've just been shrugging it off, but I've now lost too many promising games to the behavior I am encountering. There are now new ways to play ADOM and am not sure if I am inadvertently pressing keys, leading me to my failures or not.

There have been numerous situations were I think I am taking one turn — either movement or an attempt to attack a monster — and I end up consuming multiple turns. This has led to harmless movements, often in weird patterns as if I am inebriated. Or to characters deaths, where I make one move to attack and end up "dancing around the monster" while it attacks me and kills me. I am not stunned nor confused in-game. I am aware of the the new auto explore option, but am fairly certain I am not pressing the key necessary. I do not use the mouse. Maybe my mouse is moving on me? I have never encountered this in my 20-something years of playing ADOM. What am I doing wrong?

One thing I have noticed is how it lags. I play Skyrim Special Edition, and other games, at its highest settings with no issues, and yet ADOM (a seemingly (?) more simple game) frequently lags and the screen flickers. This may be unrelated.

Also, I've noticed where I am attacked by a monster, I make a move away from them and then die without them getting another attack on me (and I was never bleeding). This may be unrelated, but is a quite odd movement issue that may be related . . . ?

Any way for you to record the gameplay and share the video?
    Are you playing on a laptop or a desktop?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I'm not aware of any walk-style commands that would result in this behavior (as they should interrupt after 1 turn due to the presence of a monster). And I can't think of any other commands that would give this result. I agree with Blasphemous -- a video would be extremely helpful.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Yeah, I though of some additional background since posting that would probably help. I primarily use a desktop. Have not played the newest version on my laptop yet. I also wanted to state I can be fat-fingered, especially in ADOM. Not sure why as I rarely fat-finger in NetHack, Angband, Crawl or others. I frequently read and eat the wrong things. The new inventory commands do not help. It has been been torture to try re-learn everything. I've dropped my inventory more than I'd care to admit.

Also a couple of points to note are they a I use the numpad and I am playing with the NotEye graphics. I've always considered myself an ASCII purist, but find the graphics for the new ADOM to be appealing. One thing I noticed is that movement in the newer is a lot different. I fired up 1.1.1 the other day and boy was that odd!

I am not familiar with recording local games. The extent of my knowledge is online TTY and ttyrec players. Is there a recommended recorder?

I recommend OBS for recording games as it is free and fairly simple to use, although it is capture only,so no built in video editing tools.

One thing I think you might check is your mouse position, the mouse can affect map view/position as well as other things now.
    I personally have to make sure my mouse cursor is resting outside the game window so the map/screen doesn't slide around while I am playing.

You might also want to check the "game customization" option in the settings menu, as I noted my settings default to "Auto_Swap_Neutral = true" this might explain some of the behavior you are describing.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    I've been playing ADOM for many years. I've been playing the new NotEye ADOM for a few years and decided to step up and pay for the game on Steam. However, I am experiencing something I've never experienced in ADOM and do not know how to fully articulate it. The movement is strange. I've just been shrugging it off, but I've now lost too many promising games to the behavior I am encountering. There are now new ways to play ADOM and am not sure if I am inadvertently pressing keys, leading me to my failures or not.

There have been numerous situations were I think I am taking one turn — either movement or an attempt to attack a monster — and I end up consuming multiple turns. This has led to harmless movements, often in weird patterns as if I am inebriated. Or to characters deaths, where I make one move to attack and end up "dancing around the monster" while it attacks me and kills me. I am not stunned nor confused in-game. I am aware of the the new auto explore option, but am fairly certain I am not pressing the key necessary. I do not use the mouse. Maybe my mouse is moving on me? I have never encountered this in my 20-something years of playing ADOM. What am I doing wrong?

One thing I have noticed is how it lags. I play Skyrim Special Edition, and other games, at its highest settings with no issues, and yet ADOM (a seemingly (?) more simple game) frequently lags and the screen flickers. This may be unrelated.

Also, I've noticed where I am attacked by a monster, I make a move away from them and then die without them getting another attack on me (and I was never bleeding). This may be unrelated, but is a quite odd movement issue that may be related . . . ?
    Try going through a run through very slowly using a pencil eraser to click your keys and see if it recreates the problem. I have noticed some WEIRD lag occasionally (like once in every 10 games) where it looks crashed/frozen, but then catches up with itself and executes all the moves I typed in one go. I assumed it was just something with my system, though. I play most of the time on Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_ocnitsa View Post
    WEIRD lag occasionally (like once in every 10 games) where it looks crashed/frozen, but then catches up with itself and executes all the moves I typed in one go.
    I've had this in some of the previous versions, playing on windows. I don't think I have experienced this any time recently though.
    Adom is surprisingly resource-intensive. I'm playing on a laptop every now and then and despite it being a decent machine, I notice a very significant difference versus the desktop (which in my case is quite powerful).
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

For me it lags only when going up or down stairs, because of the auto-backup
    The chaos sister screams at you in a friendly manner.

I greatly appreciate everyone's replies and will look into recording and will address replies when I can.

Something just occurred that may be related, maybe not: as someone previously stated in this thread an interaction with a monster should stop you from moving. I encountered an ogre magus. 'You avoid the icy blast.' My character continues to take a step towards him, with me not actually wanting to! As a mindcrafter of course I want to confuse, then mind blast him. 'You are hit by a cone of magical ice!' Dead. It was a rather promising wimpy (low HP — current and max) elven Mindcrafter. I was using 'w' command to move around. I may have it twice (not sure). Will the the 'w' actually continue to do successive commands even after encountering a monster? If so, it seems as though it should stop all movement. Why would it continue to work? This may explain some rather odd previous deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_ocnitsa View Post
    Try going through a run through very slowly using a pencil eraser to click your keys and see if it recreates the problem. I have noticed some WEIRD lag occasionally (like once in every 10 games) where it looks crashed/frozen, but then catches up with itself and executes all the moves I typed in one go. I assumed it was just something with my system, though. I play most of the time on Mac.
    Yeah, I've noticed the lag where it "catches up with itself", too. This may actually explain the so-called 'dancing' I referred to and a death or two. I've gotten to the point where if I even think I've done a command that was not executed, I stop and type a harmless command like 'i' for inventory to see if the game is lagging or active. I've won ADOM (pre-1.2.0) something like 6 times (I am not sure of the exact number, it may be more, but I know it is not less). I am at the point in the game with a couple of characters that really could go ll the way and I do not want errant typing or lag to kill them! In ADOM, there are several monsters that can kill you in a turn or two in the late game.
    Last edited by comicalUser; 02-04-2020 at 02:07 PM.