Thread: Odd quirks you miss?

Default Odd quirks you miss?

I was checking out my weapon skills when I realized I kinda miss "polemarms." I'm wondering if anyone misses any quirks or bugs or typos or anything like that from previous incarnations of ADOM.

Trap patterns. Neat for D:11 Dwarftown and made wand of trap creation more useful.

I dearly miss trap patterns, as well. If I had two to choose, my second would probably be either how utterly broken darkness was, or regen sources stacking in the missile slot.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I miss polymorphing rings with pots of exchange and getting RoDS. Now you can only get one this way.
    I also miss the way invisibility worked, with monsters unable to hit you unless struck first. Now it's more like you're almost invisible and they will easily track you and hit you way too often.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

'Miss' is relative; some of this is nostalgia:

1. Having to specify a direction when 'o'pening doors or 'C'hatting, even if there's only one candidate available. Probably other QoL absences I've forgotten about as well...
    2. Potentials being trainable, and lugging ogre corpses from the ogre cave to waldenbrook for a later (possibly wished-for) ring of weakness, and other exploits like turning sick to squeeze out a few extra stat points.
    3. Only recently lost: using shopkeeper to kill enemies blocking the shop door tile. Useful for eliminating stone giants in HMV.

Another interesting thread would be 'things you wonder how you did without'... first on that list would be ego weapons and armour (affixes), it makes collecting items so much less vanilla and potentially, very fruitful (devastation weapons often beat out artifacts for example).

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    using shopkeeper to kill enemies blocking the shop door tile
    Oh man, yeah. I used that for hostile cats.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Oh man, yeah. I used that for hostile cats.
    That was my go-to solve for assassins in outlaw village! So sad. My guess is it’s a fix for how powerful shopkeepers get after selling them artifacts. Just give them infinity strange items, then lead bad dude to him = dead.

Definitely top trap type for me.

I'd love to see wands of trap creation modified to be more useful now that top trap type isn't a thing. I even suggested a traps skill to compensate...

https://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2730

I used to absolutely *love* top trap type...

Even more, though, I loved the way traps were implemented in another roguelike I used to play, called shiren the wanderer.
    It was a masterful bit of game design. There was even an entire dungeon/game type based on laying traps!

https://shirenthewanderer.com/shiren5/dungeon/gens-turf
    Last edited by sylph; 04-02-2021 at 04:34 AM.
    My orc thief just died.