Thread: Requesting Native Support for ADOM NotEye on Solus

Default Requesting Native Support for ADOM NotEye on Solus

Friends,

I am a Solus Linux user, and I'd love to natively run ADOM NotEye on my system. Solus, however, is not quite Debian or consequentially Ubuntu. Solus can use packages which are distributed as snaps or flatpaks, but those do not seem to be available for ADOM.

...I have tried looking at both the Ubuntu and Debian game files on my system with regards to their dynamic dependencies (ldd), but neither quite pan out. The Ubuntu application almost has all it needs to run, though the version of sndio on Solus doesn't quite work or register. This is the only problem on my system so far as ldd can tell with regards to the Ubuntu package - the Debian application is much less compatible, with many more conflicts.

I am certain there are those out there who could figure this issue out for their own purposes, but I do not have the skillset to do that at this time. Such a modification also may not be distributed via the EULA. Furthermore, I am certain there would be other Solus users out there that would love to play ADOM, especially in its graphical version. The MS DOS version does of course run via DOSbox, though this does not quite draw quite the amount of interest from the contemporary player as the graphical version does.

Thank you for making such an excellent free game, and I ask that you please consider my request here.

Sincerely,
    -Michael

...Just to make an additional technical note, the ASCII version for Ubuntu appears to run just fine in the terminal window on Solus. If the program is supposed to run by simply launching the application, that does not work.

The idea for the next release is to use AppImage. We hope that this eliminates the problem that we need to compile ADOM for specific distributions. There is no exact date for this yet because we are very busy with Ultimate ADOM.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Thank you so much for the prompt response! This is very good news indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    The idea for the next release is to use AppImage. We hope that this eliminates the problem that we need to compile ADOM for specific distributions. There is no exact date for this yet because we are very busy with Ultimate ADOM.
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but has there been any progress on this?

I've got a working snap package of the graphical version of 3.3.3 for Linux all set up if it's of any interest.
    Last edited by bazzo; 02-20-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: just to clarify I mean the full GUI version

Sorry, we're still very very busy with Ultimate ADOM. I hope I can work on that before the next public release.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    Sorry, we're still very very busy with Ultimate ADOM. I hope I can work on that before the next public release.
    Thanks. Any objections if I make my unofficial build available for Linux users for free via the Snap Store while we wait for an official release?