Thread: Stealing from the Water Dragon Lair

Default Stealing from the Water Dragon Lair

So I tried creating monsters all around me with a wand of monster creation then picked up an item. Shys teleported next to me and murdered me which was expected. It appeared the Shys replaced one of the summoned monsters? It is possible that one of the monsters drowned before I picked up the item and I just didn't notice. Or she moves everything out of the way to get next to you. I'm not sure.

So, Grond (as I assume you're the only person who knows) are there effective methods for stealing from the cave nowadays? I think darkness used to mitigate but doesn't anymore?
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Darkness should still be helpful to some extent. Not as good as pre-1.2.0 obviously, but at least she can't see in the dark, so you can expect less attacks coming your way. Then set up some wand of poison bouncing maybe? Good luck!
    Btw what item were you trying to steal? I usually never bother...
    gremlin - karmic lizard, dark orc, acid vortex, staring eye - dragon turtle, fairy dragon, ogre lord, minotaur emperor - pit viper, orc butcher - greater mimic, dark elven wizard, carrion crawler, dwarven child - imp - ochre jelly, dark elven archer, king cobra, goodwife - kobold shaman, magebane eye, floating eye, quickling king - giant centipede, hill orc sergeant, mimic hivemind, greater claw bug, brown bear, large gnoll - giant bee queen, giant ant warrior, shadow centipede, kobold

These days it's actually impossible to pick up items while she's on the level. As far as killing her, darkness, dragon-slaying ammo, or ball spells (besides fire) are the way to go. If you have staff of volcano summoning, you can surround her with magma and attack safely with missiles or ball spells. If you're trying to kite her, you can cast Slow Monster before angering her.

Luring her off the level is possible, but I don't know of any consistent and practical way of doing it. The typical strat for stationary monsters of having a companion attack and then teleporting it away doesn't work very well because of the layout of the cave. Another idea would be to teleport her directly to the stairs room. You can improve your odds by spawning gremlins in the center room, but it's still a long-shot unless you commit a massive amount of resources to filling in the level with walls/doors.
    Last edited by Grond; 09-17-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Darkness should still be helpful to some extent. Not as good as pre-1.2.0 obviously, but at least she can't see in the dark, so you can expect less attacks coming your way. Then set up some wand of poison bouncing maybe? Good luck!
    Btw what item were you trying to steal? I usually never bother...
    It was more an experiment than a real attempt. I had a level 14 Grey Elf Archer - probably would have won since I would've gotten the trident at 16 - but I had just killed a cat and was bitter and I saw the wand and I thought I'd give it a go. It was bracers of regeneration that I was picking up - I didn't expect to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    These days it's actually impossible to pick up items while she's on the level.
    I did notice that the bracers didn't make it into my backpack after looking at my items on death.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer