Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone like Staffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    My current gnome mindcrafter is staff only and hasn’t needed to resort to true berserk yet, even against the giant ant warriors.
    Mindcrafters playing they early game benefit more from True Berserk than anyone else. That is, as long as two conditions are met:

1. you are fighting something that you can confuse (not ants)
    2. you don't have good armor, so you don't lose much by not wearing it

True berserk is especially great if you are fighting some early vault of orcs, gnolls or the like. If you constantly keep your enemy confused, the risks from True Berserk are minimal and very much worth it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Mindcrafters playing they early game benefit more from True Berserk than anyone else. That is, as long as two conditions are met:

1. you are fighting something that you can confuse (not ants)
    2. you don't have good armor, so you don't lose much by not wearing it

True berserk is especially great if you are fighting some early vault of orcs, gnolls or the like. If you constantly keep your enemy confused, the risks from True Berserk are minimal and very much worth it.
    Oh, I wholly agree with you there! Just saying this particular character never had to resort to it. The ‘new’ boosted affinities really help out with the early game too. Especially if you pick random stats and have a pretty poor str.

Btw, IMO, the goblin encampment makes the early game so much easier! The guaranteed shields and easy foes with plenty of rocks available make it a never miss for me! I didn’t use the shield I got this game but it was a mithril medium this time. I’ve had an adamantium tower shield one time before too. I even often get mithril or adamantium weapons too!

I like staves. The new staves are neat, but it was a lot more fun when you could do L1 DFG raids and get sweet quarterstaff loot. Without that release it's a lot more tedious to plod forward with bad damage dice on crappy staves.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Yay! Another staff enthusiast! A staffer perhaps? Terrible jokes aside, yeah pushing through with a chunk of wood can be both tedious and dangerous. Not recommended for new players at all. But we aren’t new players at all are we? Suboptimal builds can be a pretty welcome distraction sometimes