Thread: How to safely get past a Gorgon w/o Petrification Resistance?

Default How to safely get past a Gorgon w/o Petrification Resistance?

I've recently returned to ADOM after a long haitus, so my monster knowledge is quite rusty.

I have a very promising Dwarf Wizard character currently on UD:8, where a mixed vault was generated. Normally I give mixed vaults a very wide berth, but since an aligned altar was also generated on UD:8, I began cautiously exploring the possibility of sacrificing most or all of the vault denizens in hopes of a pre-crowning... well, that plan fell completely by the wayside when I saw it was not only a mixed vault, but an 'out of depth' mixed vault.

I have now 'kicked the hornet's nest', so to speak, and awoken a Hydra, Dark Elven Priestess, and a Gorgon. The first two are obviously dangerous for a level 10 PC, but they are also relatively straightforward in the threat they pose. I am more concerned about the Gorgon, which now stands directly between me and the exit to the HMV.

As a wizard, I have more tools at my disposal and perhaps a better chance of surviving than most low-level characters would, but I am still nervous, so I wanted to seek advice on the best way to proceed here. I don't care about getting a pre-crowning any more, I just want to escape from the UD alive. The tools I have available to me:

Invisibility Spell (Can Gorgons see invisible enemies? Will Gorgons breathe gas on an opponent they can't see?)
    Darkness Spell (Same as above)
    Lightning Bolt Spell
    Magic Missile Spell
    Ice Ball Spell
    Wand of Acid (3 charges)
    Wand of Webbing (12 charges)

I lack teleportation, petrification resistance, or a noteworthy speed or a noteworthy DV.

If there is a distance between you and the gorgon, taking it out with bolt spells is your best bet (wand of acid is probably best). The stone breath has a very short range (2 or 3 squares, according to the wiki). I don't lnow whether or not darkness or invisibility are failsafe. If the gorgon is standing right next to you: gorgons rarely use their breath attack in melee range, so in that case I think you had best stay where you are and cast your best damage spell (perhaps ice ball, as it can't be shrugged).
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Gorgons don't see in the dark, and therefore can't use breath attacks in the dark.

You can also try webbing him and blast him with bolt spells/wands from range.

Ended up using Darkness + Wand of Acid until I got the experience. Then quickly made a break for the exit